Family Meeting.

Auroras POV

I walk down the street talking with Isaiah, holding my flask of whiskey in my hand, and I see John running towards us. He gives me a smile, snatching the flask out of my hand before he downs it and hands the flask back to me. "You're refilling this." I tell him firmly and he chuckles.

"Of course. Come on, family meeting, bestie." He tells me and I nod, turning to Isaiah. "I'll see you later. Tell your dad I said hi." I tell him and he nods, giving me his usual cheeky grin. "Will do, Rory." He says, nodding his head at John and walks away. I follow next to John back to Polly's house as we laugh and joke with each other before he drags me into the house. I see Finn standing by the kitchen doorway and I smile at him as he smiles back.

He is no longer the small boy who tugs on my dress for me to lift him up, he is now taller than me and matured. He's become such a gentleman, holding doors open for me and offering his hand to me every chance he can get. But I can still make Finn blush every time I call him my favourite.

John sits down as I walk past him and I sit down next to Arthur, who kisses my cheek. I look at John who is smiling cheekily at me and I roll my eyes playfully. I look around and see Polly at the other end of the table and I smile at her. "Hey Pol." I say and she smiles back.

Finn begins to pace up and down the room and Arthur was starting to get angry, his hands gripping the chair tightly. "Sit down, Finn." He speaks. Finn sighs in defeat and sits down in a chair at the table. "Where the bloody hell is Tommy?" John asks. Polly never spared him a glance as she watches out for Tommy, waiting for him to walk into the room. "He's on his way." She tells him.

"Right then, while we're waiting patiently..." Arthur begins, sitting up from his chair and walks over to the stairs where I notice Esme is sat, reading a book. Arthur picks up a big cradle of whiskey and places it onto the table. "Whiskey." He says simply, taking out two bottles and putting them on the table and I take one, pouring myself a glass. "It's good stuff as well." John says as he walks over to the front of the table and pours himself a glass, and downed it in one.

"Right. Before Tommy gets here, there's a few things we need to get straight between the rest of us." John says as Polly glances over her shoulder at him. "You think?" She mocks. "Yeah, I do. I want to know when did we all take a vote on the expansion south?" He asks as Polly glares at John. "You have anything to say, you wait for Tommy." She says firmly. "Polly's fucking right." Arthur agrees.

"I see all the books. Legal and off track. Saw stuff you don't see and in the past year, Shelby Company Limited has been making a hundred and fifty pounds a day. Right? A fucking day. Sometimes more. So what I want to know is why we're changing things?" John questions. "Polly, look what's happened already. We haven't set foot in London yet and they've already blown up our fucking pub!" John spat. "Who said anything about cockneys?" Arthur grumbles.

"Who else?" Esme spoke up. "You know who did it, do you?" Polly asks glaring over at Esme. I let out a small laugh and pour myself another glass of whiskey. "No, she doesn't know who did it." John grumbles as Tommy walks into the room, placing his hands on my shoulders before he bends down and pecks my lips. "I'm told only family is allowed to speak." Esme complains. "Everyone's aloud to speak. On your feet, Esme. Let's hear what you have to say." Tommy tells her as me and Polly smirk in amusement at each other.

Esme looks over at John cautiously and John quickly shakes his head. "I speak for our household. So could-" John begins. "John, this company is a modern enterprise and believes in equal rights for women. On your feet, Esme." Tommy interrupts, nodding his head for Esme to stand. Esme sets her book down on the stairs, pulling herself to a standing up and looks around the room. "I'm not a blood member of this family, but perhaps that means I can see things in a different light." She says.

Me and Polly look at other, giving each other a knowing look. Esme looks around at all of us and sees the impatience on our face. "So I'll just get to my point." She says as Polly grins around her cigarette. "That would be nice." Me and Polly say as Polly glares towards Esme.

"As John said, Shelby Company Limited is now very successful. But London...I have kin in Shepherds Bush and Portobello. It's more like war with army's down there and coppers fight side by side with them. And there are foreigners of every description. And the use of bombs is the least of it. I have a child. Blessed with the Shelby family good looks. I want John to see him grow up. I want to someday live somewhere with fresh air and trees. But London is just smoke and trouble." Esme says before she pauses for a second, glaring at Tommy. "Thomas." She finishes.

"Thomas?" Polly repeats. "That's all I have to say." Esme declares, sitting back down on the stairs. I let out a small laugh, as me and Arthur share a look. "That was a lot of words." He says grinning himself before he picks up a glass of whiskey and holds it out to Tommy. "Wash them down with a nice drink." He says as Tommy takes the glass and swiftly tips it back with a swig. "Thank you, Esme." He grumbles.

"Firstly, the bang in the pub had nothing to do with London. Understood? The bang is something in dealing with on my own. Secondly, we have nothing to fear from the proposed business expansion as long as we stick together. After the first few weeks, nine-tenths of what we do in London will be legal. The other tenth is in good hands. Isn't that right Arthur?" He asks and Arthur nods at him. "That's right." He says.

"Some of you in this room may have expressed your reservations. Fair enough. Any of you who want no part in the future of this company, walk out that door." Tommy says as he glances around the room, and no one answers him. "Right now." He demands, his eyes glancing at Esme. "Go raise your chickens." He says before nodding his head. "But those of you with ambition, the expansion process begins tomorrow." He declares, grabbing my hand and pulling me behind him as we walk out.

The Queen Of Small Heath On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara