Chapter 201: Flashback:Archaeological Site, Egypt, Along the Red Sea 1947

Flashback:

Archaeological Site

Egypt,

Along the Red Sea

1947

Deep inside the ancient ruin Marion Ravenwood Jones coiled the rope. "I think I see footholds like we had on the outside."

"Good! That means someone was meant to survive!" Her husband, Indiana Jones looped a rope around a nearby unfinished fallen column.

"You think we can get to Em?" Marion's voice trembled. "Tons of rock has collapsed, Indy."

"She's our daughter," Indy replied. "If anyone has a chance - it would be her and us." Indy grinned. "I lowered her into one of the ruin shafts earlier today. "She was disappointed that there were no bats and snakes."

Marion stared at her husband of nearly nine years. "You lowered our FOUR YEAR OLD DAUGHTER into a pit?"

Indy paused, his stubbled jaw wavered a bit at Marion's fury. "She was safe - I had her on a rope. I thought that was normal dad and daughter things."

"Did your father let you climb into ancient tombs when you were FOUR?"

Indy swallowed. "Didn't Abner let you...?"

Her fury increased. 

Indy knew that look. If there was one thing more frightening than snakes - it was his wife's fury. Nazis were even afraid of it. And that somehow legitimized his own fear... and increased his adoration. 

"We both grew up in the dust and dirt of ancient ruins, Marion -" 

His boot hit a body. He stared at the twisted and screaming mummy half pinned under the column for a moment. "Marion..."

She rushed over, as he threw his arm out to gently push her behind him and block her view of the ancient horror. 

Marion's mind immediately went to their youngest child buried somewhere under tons of rock from a collapsed tomb. "It crushed him!" She turned and yelled into the darkness. "EMILY!"

Indy nodded. "Which is probably why they stopped using the quarry section...."

"So this whole damn place is unstable?" Marion's voice trembled in fury.

"Yeah. Let me go first?"

"I can't anchor you, Indy," Marion replied. "I'm not strong enough."

"Right," he paused. "I'll be down after you. It'll be free climbing - because we can't trust this column."

"Can we use it to climb out?" Marion worried.

"Dunno. Haven't thought that far ahead. I'm focused on rescuing Emily, my littlest artifact..."