Chapter 214: Flashback: Archaeological Site Egypt, Along the Red Sea, 1947

Flashback:

Archaeological Site

Egypt,

Along the Red Sea

1947

Marion held the fading lantern above her head trying to see the source of the water. In her other hand was her husband's whip.

Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics were revealed in the dim light. The picture images revealed...

"Its a canal system," Marion whispered. Her eyes measured the images in comparison to the water below her. "The reeds we fell onto weren't a trap... they were a mat to keep the water from evaporating."

She paused thinking back to the beach. "The water flows into this level and back out, taking the blocks for transport out to the Red Sea.... Em must have found the ancient channel lock water gates system to get the blocks from the upper levels to the sea. That's why everything is unstable. The Red Sea's been washing out the bottom of the quarry since they abandoned it."

Marion set her backpack down and pulled out her compact mirror. Holding lantern in one hand and her mirror in the other, she reflected the candlelight onto the hieroglyphics.

"Marion?" Indy yelled. "The obelisk is moving!"

"Indy - top or bottom?"

"WHAT?"

"Where are you?" Marion coiled the rope, making a lasso-like loop.

"Middle!" Indy shouted.

"Get to the top of the Obelisk! Toward my voice."