Chapter 271: Kamchatka Wilderness, Soviet Union, 1960

Kamchatka Wilderness

Soviet Union

1960

Edo heard the screaming. He stared at the apkallu. "Ah. The proof of life that you insisted. That means our mission is far from over."

The apkallu surrounding him looked over the horizon. "We are eternal beings. As we have promised to make you, Edo. Why would we lie? The Seven Swords of Diya will be yours..."

"And what about the volcano?"

"We will hold it back until you and your remaining men reach Diya. In fact... we will show you the way."

Edo looked at the darkened sky. "There is a way other than what is being shown to them?"

"Don't pay attention to the sky river!" The apkallu snarled. "It is a lie. The Treasure Guardian always wants to hide the entrance to Diya. He believes that you as a human can't handle it's wisdom. But we... you and I know the truth." It put its clawed hands on Edo's shoulders. "We know the truth."

Edo nodded. "We know the truth." He paused. "I radioed my warriors. They are coming."

"How many?" The apkallu asked.

"There will be two small planes... Japanese zeroes from the war... and one larger bomber." Edo smiled. "We will haul the treasures of Diya back on the bomber."

"Of course. Yes, Edo. You will need a larger plane... for the treasures of Diya. And us as well."

Edo looked at the apkallu. "You are coming?"

"Yes. We will be free. And we will need human bodies."

Edo stared. "That means I get to kill Dr. Jones."

"Yes. It does. But only when we say so. He has to get the Seventh Sword of Diya... because he found the first two on Attu."

Edo looked up in fury. "That should have been me!"

"Trust us. It is better this way." The apkallu patted Edo's shoulder. It wasn't going to reveal that Edo was incapable of recapturing the Seventh Sword of Diya because he'd never learned to love with the level of fearlessness that the Treasure Guardian had. As a father, Indiana Jones had.

And that fearless love was deeply terrifying - because as Emily Jones had put it - "Humans have a survival streak that's build into their hearts. Besides, I've seen the Treasure Guardian. And he taught me not to be afraid of the darkness... or fallen gods like you."

The truth had kept her free from the apkallu's lies. Edo would believe - but not be so fortunate.