Chapter 274: Kamchatka Wilderness, Soviet Union, 1960

Kamchatka Wilderness

Soviet Union

1960

Lizavet tilted Indy's hat up, and gently placed her hands against his cheekbones. Her eyes searched his.

Indy met her eyes and found himself staring at a terrified little girl facing off against jeering KBG officers. Behind the KBG officers were the exact same apkallu who they'd just battled against.

Lizavet was a terrified child. Her village was burning. There were tortured screams of war and the cruel laughter of heartless men.

Lizavet met Indy's gaze. Courage and the protection of a father's heart surged through him. He wanted to save her. The apkallu were surrounding the child! Behind her a fire rose. The fire was engulfing her home... her entire village... probably all her family too.

The child was trapped with the apkallu in front of her and a growing flame of destruction behind her!

Then a shadow.

Indy stared up.

The figure was tall like an apkallu - but carried a completely different presence. This was a courageous, loving protector... what every father should be.

The shadow stood behind the child.

A shadow which wore a hat and a jacket, like him, carrying a whip and a sword - just like him.

"It can't be me," Indy whispered.

The apkallu stared at the shadow... and fled.

Indy stared through the memory and looked under the hat of Lizavet's guardian.

"That's the Treasure Guardian!" He blurted.