Chapter 253: Kamchatka Wilderness, Soviet Union, 1960

Kamchatka Wilderness

Soviet Union

1960

The apkallu stared down at them. "Challenge me? You tiny woman?"

"I'm five foot seven." Emily retorted, approaching. "That's enough ancient cubits to take you down. I'm pretty sure most men who faced you were shorter."

Indy and Shorty looked at each other.

"What happens next?" Shorty asked.

Lizavet trembled, fighting to stand her ground. Each of the swords she held with in a white knuckle grip. She pressed her lips tighter, trying not to shut her eyes as tears formed at their edges.

"Lizavet," Indy murmured. "Its ok to be scared of the apkallu."

"Its not them. I know what they do. I know their plans. What I am afraid of us the unknown," Lizavet confessed.

"I thought you knew," Shorty drew closer to her, taking up a guarding position.

"I have never gotten this far in my nightmares." Her voice trembled.

Indy looked at Lizavet. "Remember, Lizavet, I will never hurt you because of your dreams. If you can remember something that will help us defeat them - don't hesitate to tell us."

Shorty looked around at the encircling hoard of apkallu monsters. "And we could use the help."

"Thank you, Papa," Lizavet whispered, wanting to grab Indy's hand or shoulder, but she was too scared to reach out.

Indy saw her need for connection and stepped backward, taking a guarding position on Lizavet's other side. He and Shorty nodded to each other.

The battle lines were drawn.