Chapter 294: Kamchatka Wilderness, Soviet Union, 1960

Kamchatka Wilderness

Soviet Union

1960

Indy grabbed his hat, stuffing it on his head as he careened to the side. There were rocks coming up as the river before him dropped and narrowed. He fought to stay above the water. "The kids are safe," he thought, "That's all that matters." He felt himself relax and sink, the sword pulling him down.

"DAD!"

Indy gasped for air, spitting water from his nose and mouth. He glanced over.

"DAD!" Shorty dashed along the shoreline.

"Throw me the whip!" Indy shouted.

Shorty grinned and tossed it forward, just like catching a fish.

Indy caught the leather. Shorty dug in his heels and pulled Indy out of the churning river.

Shakily, Indy stood to his feet and grabbed Shorty in a hug. "I guess I'm no longer the one who got away."

Shorty hugged Indy back. "No one's gonna ever believe me that I caught a six foot, sixty year old dad."

They started upriver walking upriver, Indy leaning on Shorty's shoulder. "Now, we just have to work on your catching Lizavet's heart."

"I gave her a fish, Dad. What could be more romantic?"

"A lot of things, son. There are a lot more romantic things than fish."