Chapter 267: Kamchatka Wilderness, Soviet Union, 1960

Kamchatka Wilderness

Soviet Union

1960

Shorty challenged the apkallu, fury coursing through him. "First you steal my adopted dad, Indy, in 1935 in the Temple of Doom! Then you sacrificed and ate my flight crew in 1945! You tried to kill me then too - but the best you ended up doing was breaking my arm! Now -" he looked at Indy. "Dad - I need your whip."

"I never taught you how to use this," Indy warned.

"I watched." Shorty held out his hand.

Indy tossed the whip to Shorty.

Shorty snapped the whip above his head.

"You can't win against them in anger, Korotiky!" Lizavet pleaded.

Indy held her gently, with his injured arm trying to protect her through her injuries, awe in his eyes. "Lizavet - that's not anger. That's furious loving courage. That's how a man fights for those he loves." He swallowed. "Its the most powerful love I've ever experienced. And it happened when I held my oldest daughter Annie for the first time. Can't explain how proud I am of Shorty right now."

Shorty stepped forward.

"Do you think we're afraid of braided leather?" An older apkallu snarled.

Shorty threw the whip. The leather snaked out, ushering a loud crack. The end sailed through the air and snapped in front of the snarling apkallu's face.

The apkallu hoard shuddered as a collective. "What is that?"

"A low grade sonic boom," Shorty growled. "If you're going to try and destroy us with sound, I figured I'd fight back," He swung the whip above his head, grinning impossibly like Indy.