Chapter 232: Cave, Kamchatka Wilderness, Soviet Union, 1960

Cave

Kamchatka Wilderness

Soviet Union

1960

Indy looked at Lizavet, checking to see if she was still awake. "Why did they leave?"

"Who... Papa?" Her voice was shy.

Indy grinned at her, encouraging her adoptive title for him. "The ghost goon squad...The apkallu. Earlier you said something to them - and they left. You're not afraid of them... yet they torment you."

Lizavet swallowed. "They are much more powerful than ghosts. But they can't be in the presence of love. They don't understand it and it frightens them... so they leave. People do crazy things for love and it makes them difficult to control. Hate the apkallu understand, and hate they will use... but they don't understand love. They don't understand why anyone would sacrifice their life to save someone else. And they don't understand what adoration you have for Emily. So they watch to try and figure it. They want to break and destroy that bond. But they're not going to... because you're adopting us. You just got more powerful and became more of a threat to them."

"Because I'm a dad...?" Indy asked.

"Because you love like you'd give up your life. And that reminds them of the one who put them in prison."

"The... Treasure Guardian.. from the legend?"

Lizavet settled blinking against sleep. "Yes. We must go to Diya. We must put them back."

"The swords?" Indy asked.

"No. The apkallu." She smiled leaning into his shoulder.

"How is that our job?"

Lizavet smiled. "We have been chosen to carry the swords."

Indy stared at her. "Who in blazes would choose us?"

Lizavet gave another sweet smile with nothing but serenity in her dark eyes. "The Treasure Guardian. He chose the first bearers of the Seven Swords of Diya - why would he not choose the second?"

Indy paused and counted. "There's six swords and only four of us."

"That is a mystery," Lizavet answered. "But so is the way to Diya."

Indy stared at her. "What? You don't know the way? To the place we have to go?"

"Is that not how the Jones family lack of planning goes?" Lizavet questioned. "You... how did Emily say... 'make it up as you go?'"

Indy groaned, "Dammit. Please tell me the Treasure Guardian doesn't have the same planning system. At least with Dad I had a map with no names!"

"Perhaps it has less to do with what we can see and more to do with following him to see what the next adventure brings." Lizavet looked at Indy. "Is that a good enough answer, Papa?"

Indy grinned. "You'll fit well into this family Lizavet."