Chapter 270: Kamchatka Wilderness, Soviet Union, 1960

Kamchatka Wilderness

Soviet Union

1960

Emily awoke to the crackling sound of a campfire. She could feel the heat on one side of her body, while the other side of her torso was exposed to the chilling night air. The volcano rumbled in the distance, still spewing fire. She shuddered.

"Hold still," Lizavet ordered.

"Where are my clothes?" Emily groaned, realizing she only had a torn choli undergarment across her chest.

"They were ripped, hon," Indy offered. "Full of blood and apkallu..."

"Contamination," Lizavet finished.

"What kind of contamination?" Emily flinched, fear filling her body. "It wanted to have children with me."

"Not that kind of contamination," Lizavet replied. "Hold still. I have a poultice that will help hold the skin together... but we still may need to..." she looked at Indy. "Do what I mentioned earlier."

Indy shut his eyes in painful regret. "Em... where's your knife?"

Emily reached into her boot. "Do what you need to do, Dad. I trust you."

Indy lay the knife in the flames, watching the blade heat. "Did this to remove bullets when I was younger. Never thought I'd have to..."

"I did suggest it earlier for my neck wound," Emily replied. "Did it destroy my jacket too?"

"No. It had you in a wedding dress," Indy swallowed. "Beautiful shining dress. Fit for a queen. You looked beautiful, Em. Except for the blood."

"So, how'd I get back in my normal clothes?"

"The wounds. The dress only stayed where the wounds were... and then it faded back into the unseen realm," Lizavet explained. "Korotkiy - we will need your help."

Shorty stepped into the firelight. "Why do those look worse?"

"It is the poultice," Lizavet explained. "It is made from red orche."

"Like the ancients used for ceremonies?" Indy asked.

"It can be," Lizavet answered. "Mostly it is what you would call rust. And that rust has some healing properties."

"Ancient Roman medicine," Emily winced, rolling onto her side. "Is that knife hot enough yet?"

Indy took the blade from the fire. Then shook his head. "I can't do this to my daughter."

Lizavet was quiet. "Korotiky - hold her feet. Papa - hold her hands. I will seal the wounds. Emily, you may scream."

Emily blinked, bracing her body for the pain. "If I bust out of your hand and feet holds and start cracking heads - its not personal."