Untitled Part 228: Flashback: Archaeological Site Egypt, Along the Red Sea, 1947

Flashback:

Archaeological Site

Egypt,

Along the Red Sea

1947

Marion shut her eyes, clutching Emily to her chest, screaming in fury as the rope pulled her upwards.

"Marion!" Sallah grabbed for her, quickly pulling her and Emily to safety. "Is the little one all right?"

Marion stared into the darkness, deeper than the Well of the Souls. "Sallah! Please! Get Indy!"

Sallah wrapped the rope around his waist and started pulling. His sandaled feet slipped, moving him closer and closer toward the dark edge.

The rope grew tight and then suddenly slackened.

Indiana Jones climbed over the edge of the pit, grinning, sopping wet and hugged Sallah. "Knew you'd be here," he coughed. Then turned and spat out water. "Just like the Well of the Souls."

Sallah gave a hearty laugh. "I told you this was very dangerous - you go first."

Indy grinned and moved toward Marion. She was furious - but holding Emily - so she couldn't punch her husband. "INDIANA JONES!" She shrilled in fury.

Indy wrapped her in a hug, kissed her forehead and whispered, "I'm sorry I didn't have time to explain, Marion. I was pretty sure you'd scream at me anyway and use up all the remaining air yelling about how we're partners and I wasn't going to risk our daughters' futures on that." He touched Emily's uninjured cheek. "How is she?"

"Unconscious, but breathing." Marion looked up at him. "I'm scared for her, Indy."

"I know, Marion. I am too." Indy took Emily in his arms, moving toward the patch of sunlight filtering in from the ancient ruin's ceiling, his other hand around Marion's ribs caressing and guiding her forward toward the surface. "Up you go, Marion, you'll need both hands to climb the rope. Sallah, you go next - Ask the diggers to find a large basket, so we can put Em in it and pull her up safely."

"What are you going to do?" Sallah asked.

Indy smiled at Emily, even though she was unconscious. "Hold my Littlest Artifact."

Emily blinked and reached upward, feeling warmth on her skin. "Sun?"

Indy grinned, cradling her against his chest, her head in the crook of his arm. "See, Littlest Artifact? I told you we'd get you back to the sunlight."

"Daddy?"

"Yes, hon?" Indy smiled in adoration, remembering holding Emily for the first time.

"I hate small dark spaces like you hate snakes!"

Indy chuckled, kissing Emily's forehead, as a child sized basket was lowered down. "Well Littlest Artifact, I learned how to face my fear of snakes to save you - we'll work on helping you face your fear of small dark spaces."

Indy glanced at the basket. "Think you can handle this?"

"I'm gonna have to, right?"

"Mmmhmm," Indy lifted her into the basket. "But you can see out of the basket."

"Only with one eye."

Indy blinked in shock, feeling fear and failure as a protector rip at his heart. "You have time, Em. You'll be reading ancient Egyptian with Momma and learning how to knock out boys and bad guys with me in no time. Injuries don't last forever."