Chapter 279: Kamchatka Wilderness, Soviet Union, 1960

Kamchatka Wilderness

Soviet Union

1960

Indy and Shorty hiked the less than half mile to the lake. It was mostly down hill and out of earshot of Emily and Lizavet.

Indy glanced up the slight ridge. "We won't be able to tell if they're in trouble."

Shorty slipped in the grass. "I think those two ladies can handle trouble, Dad."

Indy grinned. "So you've changed your mind about women on adventures?"

Shorty scrambled back up. "Yes. I can't believe how strong they are. Watch your step - the ground seems - bubbly?"

Indy tested the tundra turf with his boot. The ground rippled out in a motion like a stone thrown into water. "Must be from the earthquakes. I heard about this with the San Francisco earthquake in 1906. I was too young to remember much - but it occasionally shows up in archaeological sites. Had an old timer recognize it when we went panning for gold too." He swallowed. "We'll have to be careful... remember what Lizavet said..."

Indy moved along the bulging ground, trying to avoid it. Shorty took off his shoes.

"Son, what are you doing?"

"I want to see if its bouncy." Shorty looked at Indy. "C'mon - it'll be fun."

"Famous last words, Shorty."

The volcano rumbled. Indy looked up, then gave a shrug. "What the hell?" - And jumped, beating Shorty to the spongey ground.