Chapter 212: Flashback: Archaeological Site Egypt, Along the Red Sea, 1947

Flashback:

Archaeological Site

Egypt,

Along the Red Sea

1947

Indy lay still in the ancient narrow passage with his terrified daughter on his chest - a cracked half finished obelisk on one side - and his other side pressed against a literal mountain of solid rock - as four year old Emily trembled panicking, screaming, pounding and crying, her small fists hitting his chest as her blood from a face wound seeped through his shirt. Her wails echoed through the chamber around them. He wanted out of the passageway.

"I think you want out more, Littlest Artifact," Indy murmured.

Emily screeched sobbing. "Scary! Scary!" She sucked in air. "Too small! Dark! Dark! Scary! Can't!" she gasped nearly retching, "Breathe!"

Indy smiled in comfort. "We'll get out into the sunshine soon, Em. I promise you - we'll get back to the sunlight." He wanted to kiss her head, but couldn't make the angle happen without hitting his head on the ceiling, so he settled for pressing his hand against her back.

She shuddered and quieted.

"That's better," Indy smiled. "Its harder for me to move when you're moving."

She sucked air again. "Hard to breathe!"

"Ok. Hang on, I don't want you to hurt your head on the rocks."

"Already hurts." She whimpered.

"I know, hon," Indy murmured. "Let's go."

His hand touched the dead snake corpse. He jerked. He wanted to scramble out of the passage and bolt, but...

She squeaked, feeling his fear.

"Sorry, Em. There was a snake here earlier. I thought I felt it move."

"Where'd it go?"

He squeezed her gently, feeling the gentle pressure calm his daughter. "I squashed it with a rock to get to you."

"You squashedided a snake... for me? Aren't you scared of snakes?"

"Yeah, hon. I hate snakes. But it was between me and you. I don't let scary dangerous things get between me and you. Or your sister. Or your mother. It's part of being a dad."

She whimpered.

"Keep breathing, Em. I love you, Em. Keep breathing. Slow and steady... just like swimming, ok?"

"Can't!" She sucked in air and screamed, throwing herself against him. "Can't! Breathe!"

"You're safe," Indy whispered, moving his arm around her, pressing her gently against his chest. "I know you're scared, but the sooner you calm down, the sooner we can get out of here and back to the warm sunlight."

"Can't!" She shrilled.

Indy felt water at his boots as the waves from the Red Sea encroached. "Em... calm down." He swallowed. He'd known men who would have slapped the child to gain control... he'd been one of them, but... he couldn't... not anymore. He'd left that man in 1936 after the Ark had struck down the Nazis. Toughness mattered less now that he had a family.

The water lapped at his boots, spilling over from the chamber that he'd just rescued Emily from.

Emily wheezed, shuddering in his arms and then utter chaos overwhelmed her. She screamed and panicked.

The obelisk shifted.

Indy rolled, shielding his daughter.

Marion threw the whip. "Indy! Grab it!"

"Marion! I don't have an extra hand!"