6

Sofia.

I had been roaming in literal circles for the past thirty minutes to get them to lose my trace and confuse them into buying me some time to figure out whatever the hell I was going with this.
I walked for a few minutes before stopping in my tracks when I heard distant yelling and shouting. Damnit, they were closer than I thought, the three idiots caught up to me.

My feet padded across the damp dirt as I tried to get my running pace back on track to warm up my shivering body and avoid stepping on any more rocks and twigs.

I started to feel the blood oozing out of the small cuts on my feet from running barefoot in the middle of a forest and to be honest it wasn't the worst of all this so far, till now.

I always hated running, even in PE classes at school it was my least favourite thing to do, to put it fairly but yet it seems as if it was the only thing that I had been doing my entire life.

Ah, the irony.

I halted mid step when I heeded the loud and fast footsteps coming closer in my direction as I tried to get into a huge and empty log of a tree that was a few feet away from me while keeping my head low, I crawled inside the log not caring about the cobwebs or the insects flocking it. My knees and feet hurt, and my nerves glided with intensity holding back tears as I struggled to breathe without making too much noise. Fuck a duck, how I hated my life.

Silently, pulling a few long leaves from near the log to cover up the side that I was in leaving a small hole to direct my gaze toward the approaching footsteps of possibly one of my kidnappers.

I squinted my eyes to have slightly better vision, identifying the intruder from his dirty blond hair and massive frame as Nikolai. He looked around to spot something or someone.

That someone being me.

He suddenly stopped a few feet away from my hiding spot that I was currently taking coverage in, looking around and cupping his hands around his mouth to roar out effectively sending chills of terror down my spine.

Gods, men were complicated creatures.

"I SWEAR TO GOD SOFIA EITHER YOU SHOW YOURSELF THIS INSTANT OR ELSE!" I slightly shifted in my place from the evident anger in his voice and desperation?

Why the hell were they so adamant about finding me? If I was me, I'd just leave my annoying ass alone and not waste my energy over someone I didn't even know.

"I'M WARNING YOU ONE LAST TIME TO SHOW YOURSELF TO SPARE US THE TROUBLE. BECAUSE WE WILL FIND YOU.." He trailed off.

His threatening words clouded my head.

I cleared all the thoughts and doubts considering and assessing the damages of coming out of hiding and not complicating the difficult situation I was in.

In the middle of nowhere away from civilization,

In a foreign country,

In chilly cold weather,

Barefoot, hungry, and chased by some idiotic overly soft kidnapping psychopaths.
If they wanted to hurt me they would've already, right?

I could just come out and fakely apologize for hurting and running away from them to possibly bargain and give them what they want to let me leave..

To go home. To my life. To my job.

To Carter, the only one that I'd ever call family.