93

Sofia.

Flashback...

"Here!" A hand grasped onto a lilly, holding it to my face, blocking my vision of the sweet brown haired boy as he looked at my reaction. "This is for you, Sof!"

Awestruck, I blushed, shakily grabbing the beautiful flower. Giving him a blinding smile, my eyes glistened in the warm sun energizing my gloomy self. "It's so pretty. Thanks!"

"It's no biggie," his lips stretched into a full blown grin, giggling as I caught his warm eyes. I felt myself turn beet red, fidgeting with my hands as he uttered, shyly. "Pretty people deserve getting pretty things!"

"Y-you think.. that I'm p-pretty?" I stuttered, rocking on my heels, back and forth. Not used to the adorable and effortless way he complimented me in. And in the state that I was in, I couldn't believe that he really thought that I was anything close to being... pretty.

The word seemed so foreign.

Because I was no match to the flower he had compared me with.

"Mhm, really cute too."

"T-thanks," I stammered, turning my face away, not fully hating the fact that he had me flustered but hating how one of them might show up and ruin our fun. My lips turned down, a frown marring my features.

I intentionally, clutched the soft scented, beautiful flower, tighter.

"Why..." His eyes watched me keenly, his irises following my line of sight as I struggled to keep an eye out for any danger. "Why are you sad, Bella? Did you not like my gift? Does this- does it... Hurt?" Full of concern, he pointed at my left cheek.

Taking a hurried step back as he reached his palm towards my face, I flinched, intentionally. His eyes scanning my already tearing up ones, I was comforted by his presence but how long would it last until I was dragged into that wretched hell hole?

Till I was deprived of my humanity for the smallest of reasons.

"I'm f-fine, don't worry," I looked around the empty park once more. Glad that the limited time I have with my nameless friend is still a little lasting. Feeling the disappointment searing my skin, I paled tossing him a sad expression, my eyes dead. "I'll h-have to leave in a few minutes."

Being seen with anyone would cause more problems than I could handle. And I was only ten, yet, I had been through what some might not be able to fathom, the purple bruise on my cheek serving as evidence as it remained swollen and painful.

I just didn't want to get him into trouble by being seen with me.

I was a bad, bad omen. He always made sure to make me feel less of a person and more of an object he and his sons took their anger out on.

"The bad man hurt you again, didn't he?" He asked, his fist tightening as he approached me slowly. The movement of his arms entrancing me as he pulled me to his frame. "Do you want me to beat him up? I'm really, really strong, you know. Look at these muscles, hah!" He boasted pulling a giggle out of me.

Appreciating how he tried diverting my attention elsewhere, I looked at him, already feeling serene as I realized that my crush on him just seemed to grow during the last nine times we met up. "Thank you," I buried my face into his chest, reassured.

"I'll always look out for you," he whispered a prolonged sigh leaving his lips as he looked down at me. He was the only reason that made me feel the slightest feel of joy, yet, I didn't know much about him as he knew about me. "I'll help you run away one day."

His words came out shaky, the hold he has on my shoulders tightening. "You won't ever be afraid again."

We were two kids basking in each other's safety.

But it had to come to an end and it did, eventually.

So the days went on and on. He hadn't showed up once. And I lost all hope to ever see him again. Stopped trying to wait for him.

-

Present time.

"Shit," I whispered, untangling myself from the hold Nial has on my waist. The flashbacks were making it hard for me to sleep, the once forgotten parts of my childhood played in loop."Gods...Why now?" I mumbled into my hand, slowly making my way out of our room.

My chest felt heavy. Sorrow weighting down on it as I trembled. Was the video that we watched THAT damaging? I couldn't feel anything when I saw how Adrian and Maximus suffered till death. Was I that numb to it? To heartbreak? But why?

Why did I feel this way.....now?

The trio didn't show their affliction to the sight of the gory detailed, three minute video. And that was fine... They were used to seeing that kind of things. They were too... Focused on trying to know who sent that package.

Nikolai and Nadei haven't came back yet. They had something to take care of in Saint Petersburg and I could tell that it was going to take them some time. Based on how angry they were to whoever called them a few hours ago. Not wanting to wait for them any longer, Nial pulled me to bed after checking up on the kids.

My phone pinged in my pocket. The chilliness of the hallway making me throw the hood of my robe over my head. Grasping the device in my hand as I strolled to the kitchen as its luminosity lit my face up amidst the darkness.

Turning the light on, I was shocked to my core. Open my DMs. "Wh-" I gripped the counter out of amazement. My heart falling to my stomach.

Unknown:
| Did you like my gift, Bella?
4:06AM.

Me:
| Who are you? What do want from me?
4:07AM

Unknown:
| A 'thank you'?
| Maybe a kiss as well.
4:08AM

Scrunching my eyebrows in confusion. My eyes widened as the realization hit me, mouth agape. The familiar words making my heart ache in an unsettling way. I typed my response willing my erratic breathing down. A wave of tears stinging my eyes.

Me:
| I don't understand...this.
| Whatever it is.
4:08AM

Where the hell have you been? Was what I wanted to say. Questions swirled my brain as I try to think of a way to will my sanity to stay.

Unknown:
| I'm calling you.
| Pick up the phone, Sof.

Gods, it really was him...