94

Sofia.

Accepting the call, I held my breath, not wishing to let it go as if it was my last. Waiting for him to commence and say something... anything. But only silence greeted me. Not a single word from his side, only shallow breathing and prolonged sighs.

As if he was preparing himself.

I was too, in a way.

"Do you know how many times I have waited for you to s-show up?" I willed myself to whisper, clutching my phone tighter. Emotions hogging my airway. "You promised me, you know. I thought that you-" I heaved a harsh breath, plopping to the cold marble floor.

"Bella.... Please," he started, "Listen to me for a second."

"No, you listen to me, Sir." I whisper- shouted through with this hide and seek game that he was pulling me into. "You can't just disappear for years on end and then fucking show up. And you absolutely, cannot and will not ever approach my son or I swear to whatever that is holy..."

I let my threat hang in the air as I brush my hair back. The simmering anger I felt just laying below the surface. "Don't....Don't test my patience, I only have so much left. Say what you want to say and leave me the fuck alone."

Expecting a frustrated answer or an angry retort. He surprised me as his breathy chuckle reached my ears. His tone humourous almost resembling my jokester of brother, Aurelio. "God... You've changed, Bella. Not so shy anymore, huh?"

"You haven't changed. You're still as annoying as ever," I grit.

Feigning a loud gasp of horror. He said acting hurt, "Oh, now, you're hurting my... feelings," snorting at the last word that he uttered like it was poison. I chortled, through with his teasing.

"I'm hanging up."

"Wait, no!-"

Exhaling my discomfort, I let my head fall back. Tilting it to the side as I breath the crisp air in and soak in my solitude. Not a second later, he was calling me, again.

"What the fuck do you want?" I spat out.

"Ow, Sofia. You really know how to knock a man's pride down," he stated too sarcastic for my liking. Oh this taunting bastard. "You want me to tell you what I want, hm?" He cooed.

The tiredness started catching up to me as I sighed, rather defeated. No longer wanting to show him how much this one sided conversation was really grating on my nerves. "What's that?"

"See you..I want to see you. Tomorrow."

"Why?"

"Well, I just do." He said. "Must there be a reason for me to see you and want to...... reconnect," Saying the last word ominously, I froze, baffled at his statement. "I miss my best friend, however, you sound like you do not miss me at all. Despite my efforts to make you forgive me and get our revenge."

That word stroke a cord in me.

Rendered a frozen mess, I asked. "What do you mean 'our'?"

"Ah! Well, that is one of the reasons why I want to see you," he told me, his tone laced in seriousness. No longer jesting. "I'll explain everything once you agree to meet me.... Alone."

I contemplated his words but came to a conclusion that set me back to square one, the confusion not wearing off as I stare into the distance. Thinking that it would give me the right answer.

"Where's your credibility? How would I do know that what you want to say would slightly even matter to me?" I bit back, feeling the questions roam my head free. "How would I know that this isn't a trap?"

"You really would think that I would want to hurt..you?" He asked, his voice undertoned with a hint of coldness. As if me fearing for myself was some sort of a crime against him. Like I had accused him of something he wouldn't do.

Because he did. He hurt me when he left. I had no one after him leaving. No one to talk to. No one to laugh with. No one to feel safe with. I was left to fend for myself after a short time of having him by my side.

He was there for a second and the next one, he left like I didn't mean anything to him. Like I was the only one feeling serene whenever he was by me.

It broke my heart.

"Anything's possible."

He groaned, sounding restless. "Anything but that. Thinking I would harm you in any way makes me physically ill, Bella Mia. Don't ever assume something like that. Not ever."

"Sure.." I mumbled numbly.

"I mean it, Sof," He whispered.

My chest tightened. "Okay."

Sighing for what seemed to be the millionth time. He started, "Listen, Bella... See me tomorrow. I promise that you wouldn't regret it. I'll tell you everything-"

"Okay," I interrupted him.

"Look- what? Really?" He paused, sounding confused. "You're going to agree, just like that?"

Now that had me muffling a chuckle with a cough. Only him would try to convince a person to do something and then, question them on it. "I have nothing to do tomorrow. Consider yourself lucky," I feigned seriousness.

My days were usually jam-packed but tomorrow was Saturday. And I was planning on just getting some rest and relaxation. Maybe get my hair and nails done too but that wasn't clearly in the cards for me. Props to this idiot for ruining my nonexistent plans.

"What about your husbands?" His chuckles follow as he teasingly said, "What would they think?"

Oh, for fuck's sake.

I facepalmed, forcing an exhale instead of an agitated groan. "Geez, you make it sound like we're having an affair. We're going to get some coffe and that's it. Why did you have to make it sound like THAT?" I rolled my eyes."And we're doing it by my rules. I get to pick where I'll see you."

He laughed, loud enough for me to pull my phone away from my ear. Recovering from his burst of laughter he said, "When and where then, Bella Mia?"