54

Sofia.

Nadei pulled a chair for me and I gave him a soft kiss on the cheek as a thank you. He sat down next to me, Nial and Nikolai facing us.

"That's the least I can do for you, princess." He squeezed my thigh where my skirt had risen to expose my skin and I shuddered at the cold sensation of his rings and the rough texture of his fingers.

I internally swooned at his words but reprimanded myself at how I overappreciated some gestures that were the bare minimum when it came to men.

The maids served the trio their meals receiving a grateful nod from them as Anne came into view, my excitement was evident on my face. I felt like a kid getting their favorite candy which was practically true in my case.

"Per your request, Miss," Anne said giving me a polite smile as she placed my bowl of soup and freshly baked garlic breadsticks, a grin taking over my lips.

"Thank you and please call me Sofia, how many times do I have to tell you that-" I said with utmost seriousness, "We're past the whole strangers' phase, you can call me by my name, please" I assertively added.

"As you wish Sofia-" she gave me a soft smile, her eyes twinkling with motherly affection. "Enjoy your food, and call me if you need anything," she bowed giving the trio that was watching the exchange a respectful nod.

"Gods, this smells so good," I took a spoonful, moaning at the taste as I noticed the trio pecking their food aimlessly on their plates.

"Are you all alright?" I queried softly as they eyed each other.

"We're okay, little one," Nadei said and I didn't believe it or did I like it.

I hummed, shrugging. Even though, my gut was getting twisted at the fact that they are not okay despite what Nadei said.

The tension in the room was perceptible as they glanced at each other again, my nerves glided as I over-thought what might have been the matter that got them like that.

Was it the incident from this afternoon with the blonde bimbo or about my so-called family or was it something else? They wouldn't have given it this much attention because I, honestly didn't care, anymore.

My past wasn't something I told people about. Hell, even Carter didn't know who my family was. He just knew the things that were safe for him to know.

But it was unusual to see the trio act this troubled and somewhat uptight even if it was over what I had told them this morning.

I took a sip of my tomato soup savoring its sour yet tasty flavor as it hit my taste buds. I hummed appreciatively taking spoonfuls trying not to burn myself.

My eyes darted to the trio once in a while as they talked with their eyes not meeting my questioning ones.

I frowned slightly as I finished my food noticing that they haven't eaten theirs which was yet again weird because they were always hungry and ate pretty fast.

They sure did know how to do a lot of things fast--

"Love, we need to tell you something."

The worry in Nikolai's velvety voice shook me from my lascivious thoughts as I regarded the concern in his hazel eyes. My own eyes widening a bit in alarm, dimming the lust that had almost resurfaced.

"Darling?" I snapped my eyes to Nikolai as his large warm hand cupped my cheek softly.

"Uh- yes, sure, of course," he raised a perfect light-colored brow inquisitively and I nodded getting up to grab his outstretched calloused hand from my right side.