Phoenix

Roxanne sat silently at the kitchen table,alone once again. It seemed her parents and siblings never had time to eat at the same time as each other. Mom running around trying to get her fashion line ready for the next shoot,Dad trying to keep the business and their lifestyle afloat,and her siblings speeding through school so they could graduate early. She never understood what was so great about going to a big fancy school if they worked you half to death. Especially since everyone wanted to hound any member of the Phoenix family they could. Luther Phoenix,the big business tycoon; Lucille Phoenix ,the fashion industry's top designer;Ryan Phoenix,the son who would carry the legacy; and Charlotte Phoenix,the eldest daughter who everyone wanted to be.
Roxanne had nothing special to offer,she hated having to be stuck in an office all day and didn't understand fashion,sure it was fun to pretend everyone admired you and to pretend people cared about your opinions,but what good was it when you barely had time for your own family? She sighed digging into her food,wondering what her siblings got to do all day. At least they got to go to public school. She was stuck being educated in the house because of the apparent stress the people at school caused her elder siblings.
"Hon,when you're finished come help me sew this."
Roxanne had never wanted to vanish so much in her whole life,to get away from all the publicity she and her family got and just be able to relax for once.
"Yes ma'am,I'll be there in a minute."
She put her bowl back and walked out of the kitchen,and paused.
Which room is the room she sews in?
She hated how big the mansion was. It was annoying trying to find anything. Half the doors were locked anyways so what was the point of living here? She finally found her mother and began assisting her. After a tenure of silence from both of them, her mother finally asked what Roxanne was hoping for, "Roxanne,it's almost your birthday? Turning 13 is a big deal,so what would you like?" Roxanne sat there for a moment,unsure of what exactly to say. "We'll I'd like to at least go into town with you to get a cake?" Her mothers facial expression turned a bit more stern. "Dear,I've told you a hundred times why we don't want you out in public,it's for your own good." Roxanne had to hear it dozen times over.
Yeah you keep me here cause I don't look anything like the rest of you,and you think you're going to end up on a tabloid.
But she knew better than to say that to her moms face,the last time she ended up getting grounded.
Not like a grounding is much different than my regular life.
"Yes,mother."

That Night___________
*PING*
Roxanne woke up.
*PING* *PING*
She tiredly walked over to her window and opened it.
"Vic? Is that you?"
Looking down she saw the small figure of her friend standing below the window. He had some good aim to hit her second floor window. "Come on! Let's go to our place!" Victor hoarsely called up.
Roxanne snuck down the stairs and out the door without incident. Meeting him behind the house,they dashed into the forest together just like always. Before long they made it to their favorite spot,a giant oak tree in the forest behind Roxanne's home. The branches hung low enough to climb make it the best place for two rambunctious pre teens. Before long they had made it to the top,giggling and racing to see who could get the highest. They both sat happily under the stars for a while,in the lovely branches of the oak tree. "Roxanne?" Roxanne almost forgot he was there. "I think we should stick together always,no matter what." Roxanne waited before answering. "Yeah,I think so too."
After too long Roxanne finally headed home and snuck back upstairs as quietly as she had left. She wondered how long it would be till her family knew about Victor. She worried that if they did know,they'd never see each other again. She wouldn't tell,she couldn't.

2 Weeks later________________
Roxanne sat in her fathers study,swiveling around in his leather chair.
I wonder what he wanted to talk to me about?
The door creaked open,and Roxanne halted her spinning. "Alright champ,sit still,I want to talk to you about something."
Roxanne grinned a little,even though she was 13 years old her father always called her champ or bucko. It always made her smile.
"Yes sir."
"Now,your mother and I have been talking,what do you want to do when you get out in the world?"
Her father always knew that she didn't want to run the business or take up her mothers mantle,he always accepted that.
"Well,dad,I'm not really sure. I once though of joining the military!" Her father began to laugh
"I don't know if you'd make it,you'd have to follow instructions!" She smiled,as a child everyone thought of her as Hurricane Roxanne,a little terror at family gatherings. She hasn't quite grown out of that.
Yet.
After a long discussion he told her she could wait a while if she wasn't sure,and that there was no need to rush.
I need all the time in the world.
After a while she became bored of the study,and went to harass her older brother. She waltzed into his room and sat on the bed. Not turning around at all from his desk, "What do you want? I'm trying to study,go away." Roxanne would not be deterred so easily,
"What are you studying?"
"None of your business,now get out." Roxanne spotted something shiny sitting on his dresser and investigated. It seemed to be just a button,but she decided to look through his dresser drawer. "GET OUT OF MY STUFF! MOOOOMMM"
Roxanne bolted before her mother could get there to intervene. She made her way down the hallway to her sisters room next. "Roxanne,what are doing in here?" Charlotte sat on her bed reading a book. Roxanne read the cover,Tale of Two Cities.
Sounds boring.
She had seen that book in the library and didn't bother reading it,it looked too long and the words were weird.
"Whatcha doin?" She asked knowing full well that it was pretty obvious. "Reading this book for school,shouldn't you be doing your own studying?"
"No,but I wanted to ask you something." Charlotte finally put the book down and looked at Roxanne. "What do need to ask me so bad?" Roxanne looked around to make sure no one was listening. "Did Janice give you any more problems?" Charlotte smiled,if there was one thing that could get her talking,it was gossip. "Well,she told me this morning in the hallway that if I didn't stay away from Isaac,she would tell the whole school I wear a wig and that my hair isn't natural." "No!" "Yes!" Roxanne sat there flabbergasted that someone would try and say that Charlottes long golden hair wasn't real. "You need to lay her out next time she tries that!"*BAM* Roxanne slammed her fist into her palms like she was the one squaring up with Janice. Charlotte laughed. "Oh sometimes I wish I could but I would get suspended." Roxanne was disappointed. "Charlie you're a goodie two shoes!"
"Oh hush up and get out!" Roxanne bolted back to her room before any other parent was called upstairs. Giggling all the way.