chapter 99

Eisen's party and their carriage soon reached their destination, the town that they have been travelling toward for the past few days, Ornier. It had huge stone walls, and towers built along them where you could probably see for miles and miles from.

It was quite early in the morning, and the sun just rose, so most laborers were leaving the town while the carriage was approaching the gate. It was actually quite an exciting sight for everyone in the group to see this town, but most so Komer, who has only seen villages or small towns so far.

"Halt! Inspection!" One of the guards yelled out while another already approached the carriage from behind, opening the door without anyone in the group being able to say anything about it.

"Hey, you can't just come in here!" Komer yelled out, while Aulu jumped forward and growled at the Guard and Melissa's Soldier Bees prepared to defend the carriage as well.

The Guard immediately pulled his sword and held it forward, prepared to strike, but Eisen reacted quicker. "Everyone, stop! Sorry, young man, please continue." Eisen said while looking into the carriage through the opening in the front, and immediately Aulu laid back down onto the ground while Melissa and her soldiers flew over to Eisen, sticking onto his arm. 

In response, the Guard frowned strongly and put away his sword again before taking a look around. After a few minutes, he was ready to leave, but chose not to at first.

"The cargo is fine, but you can't bring monsters into the town." The guard exclaimed, glaring through the room at Aulu, Caria, and at last also Melissa and her soldiers. "Especially not those bees. If they decide to build a hive in there, it will be incredibly troublesome."

And this actually kind of made Eisen angry. He turned around and returned the Guard's glare, but tried to stay calm so as to not give him a reason to do anything dumb. "That wolf is an artificial creation, and the Myconid girl and these bees have been tamed. Where is the problem?"

"As I said, it doesn't matter if you have tamed them. If they escape your control and build a nest, it will be a danger to the town. So you can't bring them inside. Haven't you seen how they nearly attacked me just now?" The Guard responded angrily, and Eisen looked at the other guard who was patiently waiting for his colleage to be done.

"Young man, the guard inside here is trying to refuse me from taking my tames beasts with me." Eisen explained, and the guard outside sighed loudly and shook his head.

"Really? Sorry about that, Sir. He's new at the job, and taking the 'not letting any monsters into the town' part too seriously. If everything alright is fine, you can of course pass." The guard explained and walked up to the back of the group's carriage, forcefully pulling the other guard out of the carriage. "You, behave."

"B-But he has monsters in there! And one of them is a queen bee! You know how fast they reproduce!"

The older guard of the two held his hand to his face and rubbed the bridge of his nose as if he had a headache, grabbing the arm of the younger, less experienced, Guard by the arm and dragging him away.

"So what? A tamed monster can't escape its master's control. So just shut up and leave them be."

"B-but-" The younger guard tried protesting, but stopped immediately when he saw his colleague's glare.

The older of the two guards stepped to the front of the carriage to properly address Eisen.

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience, sir. Please, go right ahead and come through."

But Eisen just shook his head, smiling at the understanding Guard. "Don't worry about it. I can understand if people are afraid of monsters, but these cuties here won't hurt anyone." He chuckled, and the guard smiled back with a nod, waving at other guards on the other side of the gate to tell them that a carriage was coming through.