Chapter 37. Unhappy Eyes

"Us is real.."

Jeonghan's gaze fixates on Seungcheol, a sense of bewilderment in his eyes as his mind becomes a tumultuous sea of uninvited thoughts, each wave crashing against the shores of his consciousness.

"Does Seungcheol believe that none of this is a facade? Are his compliments, the way he gazes at Jeonghan, his smiles, and constant care all genuinely real?" Jeonghan thinks feeling his hands sweat, Seungcheol sensing his discomfort pulls away from his neck.

"Shh...stop thinking. It's okay if you don't feel the same; I don't want to force anything. I would never, my love," Seungcheol's gentle voice whispered in the quietude, a soothing hush meant to calm the storm of thoughts swirling within Jeonghan's mind. The tender embrace enveloped Jeonghan, his senses caught off guard, a mixture of vulnerability and understanding settling between them.

In that moment, the unspoken words hung in the air, a delicate dance of emotions, as Seungcheol's chuckle resonated, promising a refuge where feelings could unfold without coercion.

"Get dressed and come out soon, okay?" Seungcheol's words lingered in the air, his eyes locked onto Jeonghan's as he cupped his face, a silent intensity passing between them. The magnetic pull to lean down and kiss Jeonghan was palpable, yet Seungcheol resisted, pulling back with measured restraint. A charged atmosphere enveloped them as he turned away, leaving an unspoken tension trailing in his wake.

"Cheol—"

The door slams shut as Jeonghan's whispered call fades into silence.

Whispering to himself, hands shielding his frame, Jeonghan stared into the mirror with introspective intensity. The hickey left by Seungcheol on his neck felt like a visceral revelation, prompting a profound question to echo in the quiet room. "Does Cheol believe all of this is genuine?" he pondered, his fingertips delicately tracing the crimson mark, each touch unraveling the complexity of their shared emotions.

"Jeonghan! Are you ready?" Startled by Sohee's voice, Jeonghan flinches ever so slightly. He clears his throat with a composed effort, drawing in a deep breath before purposefully striding toward the door.

"Yes," Jeonghan forces a smile toward Sohee, who swoons over how perfect he looks in the dress. With a delighted squeal, she tugs him toward the center of the hall.

"You look so beautiful, my child," Sohee exclaims, her hands gently cupping Jeonghan's cheeks as she places a soft kiss on his forehead. The atmosphere is filled with a mixture of excitement and familial warmth, creating a poignant tableau of shared joy.

Jeonghan's eyes fall upon Seungcheol, who immediately averts his gaze when their eyes meet. Turning his face away, Jeonghan notices Seungcheol lost within the triangle trap of his own thoughts.

"This cloth is made for you, oh my..." Sofi joins in, flattening her palm on Jeonghan's clothes, smoothing out the wrinkles of the shirt.

"Satin looks good on you, hyung..." Seungkwan walks over towards Jeonghan, with Chan trailing behind, the latter donning a baby blue shirt and pants that highlight his appearance. Chan's attire, in stark contrast, is a complete black ensemble, turning him into the main character of the scene. Mingyu opts for a simple suit, while Wonwoo wears a full-sleeved lilac shirt paired with pants. Everyone radiates elegance.

"Cheol, what did you get?" Sohee inquires, moving over towards Seungcheol, who stands at the corner of the room, avoiding eye contact with everyone, especially Jeonghan.

"Just this..." Seungcheol gestures at the suit lying on the couch – a black shirt paired with black pants and a black suit over it. Two brothers coincidentally wearing black.

"That's it then! Sofi, that's all we will get," Sohee says, and Sofi nods as they both walk away from the hall, discussing billing and payment.

"Mom, Wonwoo and I are going out..." Mingyu stands up, Wonwoo eagerly following suit, looking like he can't wait to leave. "Okay, just drop me home on the way then," Jihyun says, standing up and grabbing her purse as the three of them walk away, paying no attention to the others.

As Jeonghan gracefully approaches Seungcheol, the air carries a palpable tension. Seungcheol, sensing his presence, shifts uncomfortably on the couch, his gaze momentarily avoiding Jeonghan's as they share a silent space.

The soft fabric of the upholstery seems to capture the unspoken weight of their connection, weaving a delicate thread between them as they navigate the intricate dance of emotions in the room.

A heavy silence descends upon them, both yearning to hear the other's voice, their hands aching to bridge the emotional chasm between them. In the stillness, Seungcheol's heart bears the weight of lingering uncertainties – what if Jeonghan doesn't reciprocate his feelings? What if this connection feels forced for Jeonghan?

The burden of these "what ifs" hangs in the air, a poignant reminder of the unspoken fears that echo within Seungcheol's conflicted thoughts.

"Stop! Stop thinking like that," Seungcheol scolds himself inwardly, his grip tightening on his phone. The unsettling "what ifs" cascade through his mind – What if Jeonghan is here to express discomfort with Seungcheol's confession? What if he desires to dismantle this connection and return to Seoul? The uncertainty looms, questioning whether Jeonghan wishes to sever ties and never see Seungcheol again. The weight of these possibilities tightens the knot of apprehension in Seungcheol's chest.

"Seungcheol--"

"I have work outside; you can go home with others," Seungcheol jumps to his feet, rushing to the door with a fast-beating heart. An uneasy feeling settles within him, adding to the tension in the room as he hastily moves towards the door, the urgency in his actions betraying the turmoil within.

Jeonghan's eyes cloud with sorrow as he watches Seungcheol hastily retreat, his throat constricting with suppressed sobs. Turning his gaze away from the now-empty doorway, Jeonghan takes a moment to compose himself. The weight of unspoken emotions lingers in the room, and just as he steadies his demeanor, Sohee returns, her presence offering a temporary respite from the unfolding emotional turmoil.

"Stop running away.." Jeonghan wants to call but holds himself back.

-----

-Vaish

Angst incoming 👹🤌