Chapter 53. Make things Right

Hyori emerged from the car, her grip tight on the bouquet of colorful flowers, their fragrance filling the air as she observed her driver conversing with the watchman stationed at the ornate gate. With a nod from the watchman, the gate swung open, granting them passage into the expansive estate.

"Minju, please bring these gifts inside as well," Hyori instructed her driver, her voice carrying a sense of urgency mingled with anticipation, before leading the way indoors. Minju acknowledged her with a nod, swiftly retrieving the bags from the backseat and following her inside, his steps echoing in the grand foyer.

With sweaty hands, Hyori rang the doorbell, the chime resonating through the quiet air as she stood anxiously on the doorstep, her feet tapping in nervous anticipation. The sound of feet pattering against the polished floor reached her ears, signaling someone's approach, and soon the wide door of the house swung open, revealing a scene of warmth and hospitality.

A smile formed on Hyori's face as she was greeted by Hoshi's confused and surprised expression, his eyes widening in recognition and welcome. "Aunt Hyori? Please come in," Hoshi urged her, his voice filled with eagerness as he stepped aside to allow her entry into the inviting interior.

"Hello, Soonyoung. How have you been?" Hyori's greeting was met with a mixture of surprise and familiarity as she exchanged pleasantries with Hoshi, his confusion evident in his hesitant steps as he led the way deeper into the house.

"I'm fine, Aunt. How have you been? Grandma? Aunt Sohee and Jihyun?" Hoshi's inquiries flowed with genuine concern, his gestures hospitable as he made room for Hyori to settle comfortably on the couch, a slight dusting off to ensure her comfort.

"Everyone is good. Where is Jihoon?" Hyori's gaze swept the hall, taking in the familiar surroundings, yet finding it empty save for the maid bustling about, attending to her chores with efficiency and grace.

"He's in his room. I'll call him right away," Hoshi offered, but Hyori gently cut him off, her nerves resurfacing as she revealed the true purpose of her visit. "No, it's okay. I am here to actually meet Jeonghan's parents and him," she confessed, her voice tinged with apprehension.

"Oh... okay, I'll call them right away for you," Hoshi's response was swift, his eagerness to assist evident as he excused himself, leaving Hyori momentarily alone in the foyer. As she waited, Hyori's eyes wandered around the hall, memories of past gatherings and shared moments flooding her mind, a bittersweet nostalgia tugging at her heartstrings.

The soft pattering of feet on the staircase interrupted her reverie, and Hyori's heart quickened its pace as she glanced upward, anticipation building in her chest. Jeonghan was descending the stairs, his demeanor subdued, his gaze fixed on the steps before him, oblivious to the world around him.

The soft pattering of footsteps reverberated through the dimly lit hallway, like whispers of anticipation stirring the air. Hyori's heart quickened its rhythm as she glanced toward the staircase, where Jeonghan descended with an air of desolation, his gaze fixated on the worn steps below.

Rising swiftly to her feet, Hyori's voice cut through the heavy silence, a beacon of strength amidst the tension. "Jeonghan," she called out, her tone both commanding and compassionate, causing him to halt in his tracks, his blank expression softening at the sound of her voice.

"Hyori..." Jeonghan's voice carried a whisper of vulnerability as he reached the foot of the stairs, a palpable distance separating them as they locked eyes in silent communion.

A gentle smile graced Hyori's lips as she beckoned Jeonghan closer, her outstretched hand a silent invitation to bridge the emotional chasm between them. "Hello," she greeted warmly, her eyes reflecting a mixture of concern and affection.