Chapter 23 - Change is coming

The walk home with Bakugo was nice and the evening air was just as good, but I was glad to be home. It was an exciting 48 hours and I just wanted to spend all of tomorrow in bed reading.

As I walked through the front door I saw an extra pair of shoes sitting on the shoe rack.

"Uncle Mic!" I exclaimed as I rushed myself inside, happily finding one of my favourite humans smiling up at me from the kitchen island. Dad was perched next to him, his hair pulled back into a ponytail as they sipped at cups of hot tea.

"There she is! My favourite high schooler! How have ya been kid?"

Ignoring his question I rushed to him, throwing my arms over him in a warm embrace.

"It's tough not being able to hang out with you at school." My voice muffled as I spoke into his black leather jacket he always wore.

"Yeah, it's a bummer but we knew the rules when you decided you wanted to go to UA." He replied with a comforting pat on my back.

As I pulled away I noticed chocolates on the bench.

"Ooh!" I reached for one excitedly but dad moved them away with skilful speed.

"Oh no you don't. Tell me about last night." Dad ordered under a narrowed stare.

"What happened last night?" Uncle Mic peered between us genuinely confused.

"Oh right!" I squealed. "The party!"

In the moment Uncle Mic coughed uncontrollably, seemingly choking on his own cup of tea.

"Hey are you okay? Need me to help move the air in your lungs?" I asked worried. He shook his head.

"No, no. Wrong hole that's all. I guess I'm just... surprised that's all..." He trailed off as he offered dad a questioning look. "Please, do continue love."

"Okay so." I began as I plopped myself into the swivel seat opposite them. "It was a LOT of fun. We ended up catching the subway there because it was a little out of the way. It was in this HUGE Victorian looking mansion. There were all these other kids there that I didn't recognise because they pretty much all went to Shiketsu. I spent a bit of time talking to this one ginormous kid Inasa-"

"-Inasa Yaorashi?" Dad interrupted.

"Yeah that's the one!" I replied energetically.

"Was it his party?" Dad asked, his expression strange.

"No I don't think so. I think it was this blonde girl's but I'm not actually sure, and I don't think I got her name either but I didn't really like her..."

Dad and uncle Mic peered at each other suspiciously but continued to listen to me chat away quickly anyway.

"But I did like Inasa, he was cool. From what I remember it was fun. Except they didn't have coffee cake which was a bummer."

"Wait, wait, wait. Go back. What did you say?" Dad asked with a stern expression.

"I know right. No coffee cake. I was pretty bummed."

"No not the damned cake. Why did you say from what you remember it was fun?" His black eyes burning into mine.

"Ohhhhh right. I don't really remember the end of it. But Bakugo says that's because I drank too much alcohol in a short amount of time." I peered back at the two men expectantly.

They both gawked at me with wide eyes and jaws hung open.

"What?" I asked, suddenly self conscious.