thirty - eight

After a long night of uncontrollable laughing and a slight food fight with our spaguetti, Ashton decided to take me other places too.

When I asked him where we were going, he shrugged and said simply, "Let's just drive around the city, it's nighttime and don't you love the city lights?"

I agreed with him and happily let him drive us around the city for what seemed like a million years, but I didn't care, I only rolled down the window and perched my head on the car door - letting the warm breeze hit my face and let the wind whip my blonde hair behind me.

The sound of All Time Low's "Therapy" was faint while I focused on the sound of the city and my own thoughts.

At some point I felt Ashton's hand rest on my knee, giving it a light squeeze. I smiled to myself before stealing a glance at him.

I softly smiled when I noticed how relaxed and...happy he looked. I realized that this must be a stress relief he'd do whenever he just needed out and to clear his mind, judging by the carefree look on his face.

I smiled before I turned my head back into the wind, watching as we whizzed past hundreds of people, shops, bars and restaurants...all illuminated by bright colors - except for the people.

As much as I was paying attention, I actually wasn't as it took me a few minutes that Ashton was driving out of the downtown area, making me give him a questioning glance.

"Where we goin'?" I said in a sing song voice, he just smiled.

"We're gonna have a walk on the beach..." He mumbled, his eyes still focused on the road.

I nodded my head, because I didn't see anything weird or 'wrong' about a late night stroll on the beach, in fact, it was my favorite time to go to the beach.

I liked that there weren't any people there and it would all be quiet, the only sound would be the waves crashing against the shore line, the cool breeze would relieve you, along with the nice feeling of walking in the cold sand.

I also liked - or loved - seeing the moon's reflection against the rippling ocean, making the water look like it was glowing and sparkling with diamonds.

As Ashton pulled up into the empty parking lot, I examined the beach and smiled when it was exactly the same as I loved.

Before even realizing that he got out the car, and that the Imagine Dragons song on the radio got shut off, he was at the passenger's side of the car and opened the door for me, holding my hand to held me step out easily.

I smiled thankfully at him as he continued to hold my hand, ushering me to follow him down the path and onto the sand.

As soon as we did, I immediately took off my white pair of low cut Converse and held them in the hand that wasn't holding Ashton's. He copied my actions too with his black Vans and held them, smiling at me quickly as I helped steady him while bending down.

We started walking down the shore line of the beach, just before where the water reached the sand, keeping our feet from getting wet - making me turn my attention to the ocean.

I smiled as the familiar sparkle of the moonlight was upon the water, making it shine and shimmer. I took a deep breath of air in and inhaled the deep scent of sea salt and...weirdly enough, sand.

The calming scene before me made my relax and just think...about anything and everything.

Yet, mostly, about Ashton.

I really did like the boy in ways I never thought I did, I don't love him - not yet. But I do, really, really, like him, and it only made me think of what possibilities there were for us.