Introduction

{Omniscient}

It hasn't stormed this hard in the city of Chicago for months.

Years, maybe.

But tonight, it is.

Tonight, rain pours heavily down on the city, lightning strikes powerfully, and thunder booms over the skyscrapers.

Excluding their breakup a couple years back, Patrick and Abigail have been together for a total time of almost six years now.

It's been good.

Both are happy, and both are at one in their relationships.

But, that doesn't mean they never fight.

And tonight, is one of those nights.

Patrick decided he would go out with some of his teammates, after an off-season practice one hot summer afternoon. 

They didn't even stay out that late; Pat came home at about 10:30 in the evening.

By then, the storm had started up, shaking the ground violently, and thrashing with the peace that falls over this city on most days.

Pat opens the door to his apartment, up on the eighty-forth floor where the thunder sounds like it is basically tapping on your window.

The apartment is dark.

The only light is the one coming from the TV.

It flickers, revealing the girl sitting on the couch.

Crossed arms, light brown hair that falls in gorgeous loose curls around her face, a small frown written on it.

The TV light dances in the reflection of her eyes.

Good God, those eyes.

Pat loves them. With everything he is made of.

Patrick is surprised she is still up, as she's been exhausted lately.

He hangs up his coat, and makes his way over to the couch, expecting a warm embrace.

She looks up at him, and the disappointment in her face is evident.

Patrick notices this and immediately his face grows concerned.

"You forgot." Is all she says, shaking her head slightly.

Lightning flashes, illuminating the room for a second.

Thunder follows shortly after, and the skyscraper seems as if it is trembling.

Patrick shakes his head, confused.

But then, it hits him.

And right then, a spiraling wave of guilt moves through his entire body.