Chapter 43: The Brilliance of Youth

{Patrick}

I shove my hands in the pockets of my jeans as I walk down the streets of Downtown Chicago.

It's fairly busy on the sidewalks, but nothing too bad.

It's Wednesday, November 23, about 2:00 in the afternoon.

The Blackhawks had a game last night at the United Center, which we unfortunately lost to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

It was a close game, but we just weren't able to get the win.

The Hawks had a two hour practice this morning, and then by noon, we were done for the day.

It's now just past 2:00, and I have decided to grab a couple coffees for Abby and I from the corner coffee shop down the street from Trump Tower.

Abby worked this morning for a few hours, and then came back home to the apartment for the rest of the day.

Thankfully, she said it wasn't too busy this morning.

I look down as my feet crunch the snow underneath me.

I can see my breath as I walk.

The temperature actually isn't too bad, but it is definitely cold out.

It could be worse, though.

It's a gloomy day today in the city of Chicago, and after I grab these coffees, I am definitely just going to take it easy this afternoon.

I look around, as I continue to walk down the sidewalks.

The streets are fairly busy, and the roads are as well.

I look ahead of me, and a lady with three young children is walking towards me.

She gives me a small smile as she passes, holding onto each of the kids' hands, making sure they aren't going to run out onto the street.

She's watching them carefully, ensuring their safety.

I swallow, as I continue walking.

Right then, a young boy and his father walk past me on the sidewalk.

A little girl and her mom pass me right after them.

And suddenly, as I'm walking, all I can see are kids.

I start suddenly noticing all the little children walking down the streets with their parents, all bundled up in their jackets and little faces peaking out from their toques.

I swallow hard, as my eyes dart around the streets of Downtown, finding children everywhere I look.

There are fucking kids everywhere.

I notice a little boy walk past me with his father, holding hands.

The little boy is wearing a Blackhawks jacket.

I can feel my heartbeat in my ears as kids suddenly start popping up everywhere.

I never used to notice kids like this.

Suddenly, I am seeing them everywhere I look.

I'm starting to sub-consciously notice them.

I take a deep breath, continuing to walk down the street.

A few more kids pass by me, and my eyes follow them as they do so.

They are everywhere.

And I'm suddenly becoming more and more aware of just how many of them there are, all because of one reason.