Chapter 22: Purest Eyes

{Patrick}

I walk down the streets of Downtown Chicago, hands stuffed in the pockets of my grey shorts.

It's Sunday, July 31, about 11:30 in the morning.

Jonathan and I are getting together at a small coffee shop in Downtown Chicago, in a few minutes.

The main purpose of meeting up, is to tell Jonathan about Abigail and I.

Jonathan is one of the only guys on the team that doesn't know about the engagement of Abby and I.

It's odd, because you would think he would be the first guy I would tell.

But, I really wanted to tell him in person, and so we arranged this a few days ago, for exactly that.

I'm not sure how he will react.

I'm sure he will be happy, but he's also going to be surprised.

I look up at the skyscrapers around me, that line the streets of Downtown.

I'm walking down Michigan Ave, towards the small coffee shop at the corner.

I've been here a hundred times before, as it is so close to Trump Tower.

I walk here a lot, as this place has really good drinks, and a really nice atmosphere.

I look up at the sky, and notice that there are only a few fluffy clouds up there.

For the most part, the sky remains clear, and the sun shines beautifully.

The breeze is pleasant and warm.

The streets are busy, but calm.

It's Sunday morning, and Chicago is at peace.

After a few minutes, I reach the entrance to the coffee shop, and pull the door open.

The strong aroma of coffee greets me.

It's somewhat busy in here, and the workers are buzzing around busily to try and satisfy their customers.

I scan the coffee shop quickly, and locate Jonathan sitting at a table near the window, his back towards me.

I swallow, and make my way through the coffee shop, reaching the table he is sitting at.

He is wearing a black polo shirt, with grey shorts, and a backwards Chicago Blackhawks hat.

"Hey man." I say, approaching the table.

"Hey bud!" He says, standing up, and bro hi-fiving me.

"Been a while since I last saw you, how have you been?" Jonathan asks, as I take a seat across from him.

"I've been pretty good. Abigail and I spent a week in Buffalo about two weeks back. It was really nice being back home, and seeing my parents and sisters again." I say, nodding.

"Oh, I bet." Jonathan nods, looking across the table at me.

"How have you been, man?" I ask, leaning back in my chair.

"I've been good. I went back to Winnipeg for about ten days. Saw some family, and hung out with some old friends there, so that was great. Other than that, I've kind of just been hanging out with Natalie a lot here, and just enjoying the city." Jonathan explains, smiling.

I smile down at the table.

"Did she go with you to Winnipeg?" I ask.

He shakes his head, crossing his arms on the table.