Chapter 57: A Child's Heart

{Patrick}

"Abby, stop shaking, love." I say, smiling over to her from the driver's seat.

She looks back at me, her slightly shaky hand in mine as I drive.

She bites her lip, nodding.

"You're going to be just fine. We are going to be just fine, okay? I promise." I say, moving my gaze back to the road.

Out of my peripheral vision, I notice her nod, and then smile.

"I'm excited, Patrick. I really am. But for some reason, I'm nervous too." Abby laughs, sighing.

"I'm pretty sure that's normal, Abbers." I laugh, keeping my eyes on the road as I change lanes.

"Yeah, you're right." She says, exhaling deeply.

"I don't know what I'm so worried about. I really don't have any reason to be." She laughs, rolling her eyes at herself.

I laugh, intertwining my fingers with hers.

It's Tuesday, February 28, about 12:45 in the afternoon.

Abby and I are on our way to Dr. Nolan's office for her first ultrasound.

Her appointment is scheduled for 1:00

And for some reason, Abigail is nervous.

Both of us are excited, but she's a little shaky from her nerves.

I think she's in fear of something going wrong, but I strongly believe that everything will be okay.

"This love is ours, Abby." I say, in attempt to calm her nerves.

She sighs, happily.

"This love is ours." She replies, quickly.

I smile, as I continue to drive down the road.

It's a beautiful day in Chicago.

It's fairly cold outside, but there is not a cloud in the sky.

There is hardly any wind, and there is only a light blanket of snow on the ground.

Thankfully, winter has been fairly mild in Chicago so far.

Last week, while the Hawks were on a road trip, I told Jonathan about Abigail's pregnancy.

Once the Hawks returned to Chicago, Abby and I talked about telling more people, and we both agreed that we would start telling others the news.

So by now, pretty much all of the guys on the team know, as well as their wives or girlfriends.

The Summers' know as well.

Yesterday, I got a call from Aunt Melissa, Uncle Peter, and Lilly all congratulating Abby and I on her pregnancy.

It means a lot, to be hearing those kinds of things from friends that are basically family to you.

They sounded overjoyed, and clearly can't wait until they get to meet our little son or daughter.

With Abigail being ten weeks pregnant, it's still too early to be able to tell the sex of our child.

However, Abby and I both agreed earlier that we don't want to know the sex of our child, until he or she is born.

We want it to be a complete surprise, and that much is certain.

I shake myself out of my thoughts as I make a sharp right turn into the parking lot of Dr. Nolan's clinic.

I pull into a parking spot, and take the key out of the ignition.

The car falls silent, and I turn my head to look over at Abigail.