Chapter 80: Little Heartbeats

{Abigail}

I force my heavy eyelids open, and within a few moments, my vision has cleared.

My entire body feels fatigued, and I'm sore everywhere.

I blink a few times, my eyes darting around the hospital room.

I flicker my eyes over to the end of the bed, where Patrick is sitting, a twin in each of his arms.

Each of the twins fit perfectly on his forearms, and he smiles as he looks down at them fervently.

A small smile sits on his face as he watches them carefully.

Both twins, snuggle into him as they sleep.

Oh God, how I felt when I first laid eyes on those two.

It can't be put into words.

I knew that I would be in love with the babies. I knew that since the day that I found out I was pregnant.

But I didn't know what kind of love it would be.

But it is the deepest, fullest, most beautiful kind of love that you don't experience with anything else.

My mom and Donna told me all throughout my pregnancy that a mother's love for her child is the absolute most powerful force on the planet, and I took their word for it.

But now, I'm experiencing it, and they were absolutely right.

Nothing compares.

Pat and I created the twins, that one night that we danced amongst the sheets together.

I then carried them for nine and half months inside of me, and then earlier today, they were brought into the world.

And Christ, are they ever so beautiful.

We wanted the sex of the twins to remain a secret from us until they were born, and finally, we have found out their genders.

A boy and a girl; the boy came just a few minutes before the girl did.

And they are already named.

Their names were clear within minutes of me giving birth to them.

Patrick and I had been thinking of names all throughout my pregnancy, and it's funny because neither of the names that we chose, were any of the names we had brainstormed together.

But when Pat and I first laid eyes on the twins, we just knew.

Sarah Ally Kane and Logan Jonathan Kane, are the names of the twins.

The middle names are in honor of the love that Ally and Jonathan still have for each other.

It was Patrick's idea; and I did not hesitate.

The bond I feel with these two precious humans is too valuable for words.

I feel as if I am connected to them in another way, besides the fact that they are my own.

There is something else.

And Pat feels it too.

This entire day, has been a complete blur.

Earlier this morning, I underwent a c-section, the two babies were brought into the world, and then I barely remember the rest.

I only remember the cries coming from behind the screen, and the feeling of understanding that the twins are now out of me, and into the world.

I remember the tears streaming down Pat's face.

The tears of joy.

I remember him crying and telling me he loves me.