Chapter 38: Alive

{Abigail}

"I can't believe it's hockey season again." Chaunette laughs, from the passenger seat.

I look over at her, smiling.

"I know. It's so exciting!" I giggle, as I change lanes.

"Summer went by so quickly. It's weird how that always happens." Natalie laughs, from the back seat of the car.

"Oh, I know. So much happened this summer." Chaunette says, sighing happily.

I smile, as I keep my eyes on the road.

It's Saturday, October 8, about 7:00 in the evening.

The NHL regular season starts tonight.

The Blackhawks season opener is also tonight, in Chicago.

The game is at 8:00, and the city is bubbling with excitement at the new hockey season.

Chaunette, Natalie, and I are driving to the United Center for the game tonight.

Yes, still, Natalie and Jonathan are separated.

They have been broken up since August.

Despite the fact that Natalie is no longer dating a Hawk, I always invite her to games.

We have grown incredibly close, and after all, she was one of my bridesmaids.

Unfortunately, neither Chaunette nor myself have really asked Natalie how she is doing with the breakup.

It's a sensitive topic, and for now, we mostly just let the silence do the talking.

The past two months have gone by so quickly, it's insane.

I've gone back to work, and that is going extremely well.

It's been nice, getting back to to photography after a summer away from it.

Patrick has been busy lately, with all of the pre-season games and practices, but we still find time for each other.

Our marriage is going strong.

It truly feels like just yesterday, Patrick and I were saying our vows.

Everyone always told me that with the love of your life, time is irrelevant.

Time doesn't matter.

It doesn't effect anything.

And I never really believed it.

Until now.

When I'm with Patrick, I truly don't feel like time is passing. Most of the time, I'm too wrapped up in him to even care about the time.

And that is one of the most beautiful feelings in the entire world.

"Did you work today, Abby?" Natalie asks, from the back seat.

"Yeah, I did. I had a family come in for pictures, and they had a dog, so that was amazing." I laugh, biting my lip.

"Oh God, you and your love for dogs." Natalie rolls her eyes, playfully.

"I've never met anyone so obsessed." Chaunette giggles, looking over at me from the passenger's seat.

I look back at her, and she smiles over to me.

Her hair is down and curled, and she's wearing a Shaw home jersey with leggings and brown boots.

She looks adorable, as always.

"I don't even know why I love them so much." I laugh, as I turn into the parking lot of the UC.

Chaunette and Natalie laugh with me, as I pull into the parking area that is reserved for Hawks players and their relatives or friends.