Chapter 79: The Moment Everything Changes

{Patrick}

"Mr. and Mrs. Kane?" Dr. Thomas asks, as she walks into the waiting area.

Both Abby and I whip our heads over to where she is walking out towards us.

She's wearing a white lab-coat, blonde hair tied up in a bun, with a lively smile on her face.

The familiar face calms my nerves slightly.

I've met her multiple times over the past couple months, through doctor appointments and that sort of thing.

Abigail's grip on my hand tightens, and the two of us stand up at the same time.

"Yes." I say, nodding.

"Good to see you two again. Well, if you want to follow me, we should get started!" She smiles.

Abby glances over to me, and the fear in her face is prominent.

Well, fear would be an unfair term.

Uncertainty.

Tension.

I nod, and swallow.

She nods back, and bites her lip.

"We'll head to your hospital room." Dr. Thomas explains, smiling.

"Alright, love, let's go." I say, throwing my arm around Abby's shoulders loosely.

Abby nods, smiling.

Abby and I grab all of our bags, and the two of us follow closely behind Dr. Thomas, as she leads us out of the waiting area.

I zone out as we make our way through a few hallways, when we finally make it to a series of hospital rooms.

Dr. Thomas opens the hospital room door for us, and gestures for Abby and I to go first.

I smile, and Abby and I move through the door, and into the room.

I glance at the clock on the wall.

5:10 AM.

Abby's c-section is scheduled for 7:00 AM.

"Alright, Abigail, what will happen for the next hour and a half or so is as follows," Dr. Thomas says, sitting down in a chair at the end of the small hospital room.

Abby and I both nod, listening carefully, as we set down our bags in the corner of the room.

"You will be taken care of by a few nurses in here until about 6:40. You will change into a hospital gown, you will have an IV put in, and you will also have a few monitors put on your abdomen to monitor the twins." Dr. Thomas explains, nodding.

"Myself, as well as your anesthesiologist, which I believe is Dr. Christine Powell?" Dr. Thomas asks, tilting her head slightly.

"Yes." Abby nods.

"Okay, wonderful. Well, we will pop in a little later to check on things, and then at about 6:40, the nurses will bring both of you down to the operating room. Patrick, at this point you will go to the change rooms to change into your hospital gown, and while you are doing that, Dr. Powell will numb Abby and insert her spinal, which only takes about ten minutes. When you return from the change rooms, it should be around 7:00, and we will begin the operation. Ideally, we should be done around 7:30. After the operation, Abigail, you cannot hold the twins until you have been completely stitched up for hygiene purposes, but Patrick, you can, and you can allow Abby to cuddle with them, as long as she isn't holding them, if you like. Then, Patrick and your two new babies will be brought back into this room. Abby, the doctors will stitch you back up, which should only take about twenty minutes. Once we are completely finished with that, you will be cleaned up, and then brought back into this room again, where you can officially hold the babies. You are more than welcome to allow your family members to come into this room to see the babies after the operation." Dr. Thomas finishes, smiling.