Chapter 12: Pure Passion

{Jonathan}

The breeze blows lightly as the bus drives down the road away from the United Center.

It's Friday, July 8, about 11:30 in the morning.

Today is the day of the Chicago Blackhawks Stanley Cup Parade.

I can hardly believe that I have the honor of participating in such an event, for the fourth time.

It's mind-blowing, to be honest.

Lord Stanley sits between my legs, my knees resting against either side of it as I sit down.

The entire Blackhawks roster and their friends and family are all piled onto four different double-decker buses, for the driving part of the parade.

We drive down Michigan Ave, and a few other streets in Downtown Chicago, showing off the Stanley Cup as we do so.

Right now, the buses have just left the United Center, and we make our way closer to Downtown, where the parade officially starts.

Natalie sits beside me, wearing a red Blackhawks t-shirt, and white short shorts with aviator sunglasses.

Her brown hair is blowing in the breeze, and she smiles as she looks around at the view from up here.

Multiple other Hawks players sit in the same double-decker bus as me, sitting with their wives or girlfriends.

One of which includes Patrick Kane and Abigail. Patrick looks over the side of the bus, Abigail gazing off at the skyline in the distance.

She has her large camera hanging from her neck, as she's obviously decided to take some photos from the parade today.

They have a good relationship.

They really, really do.

I look back down at Lord Stanley and smile to myself.

I can't believe that we have really won it, yet again.

Brandon Saad suddenly taps me on the shoulder, a can of beer in his hand.

"Ready for another Stanley Cup Parade, Tazer? You got an awesome speech prepared again, man?" Saader laughs.

I laugh, hi-fiving him.

"You bet, man." I chuckle.

Within ten minutes, the Blackhawks buses have reached Downtown Chicago, and the sea of red grows denser as we progress further into the city.

There are fans everywhere.

Multiple people are scattered along the sidewalks, right before Michigan Ave, where it gets unbelievably crowded.

"This is incredible." Natalie shakes her head, looking over at me.

"I know." I say quietly, laughing.

A quick flashback hits me hard, and I suddenly remember standing on the edge of this double-decker bus, holding the Stanley Cup over my head, as the fans cheered so loudly, and then looking over to my right, and seeing Ally.

I remember seeing her standing beside me, looking out at the crowd, a huge smile on her face.

And this time around, her smile isn't present.

I shake my head out of my thoughts, as the buses begin the drive down Michigan Ave.

We pass Trump Tower Chicago, and I look way up to the old apartment.

Man, I miss that place.

As we begin the drive down Michigan Ave, and the cheers grow louder, I grab the Stanley Cup, walk over to the edge of the bus, and raise it above my head.