Chapter 56: Currents Upon Oceans

{Jonathan}

I shove my hands into the pockets of my jacket and look down at my feet as I walk.

The cobblestoned sidewalks are dark and beautiful.

It's Wednesday, February 22, about 11:00 in the morning.

The Blackhawks are in Montreal for a game against the Canadiens, which we will play later tonight.

We have been on a road trip for a few days now, and will be back in Chitown on Friday night.

Right now, Patrick and I are walking down the street from our hotel, towards a small cafe.

Patrick had invited me to go for coffee earlier this morning, and I absolutely agreed to go.

We haven't had much time to hang out as much as I would like to lately, so I am looking forward to catching up with him.

Even though he drives me absolutely fucking insane most of the time, I still love him.

He's my best friend, and nothing will ever change that.

Patrick walks just ahead of me, and I notice his hands are stuffed into his pockets as well.

It's a cold winter morning here in Montreal, and I can see my breath as I walk.

The streets of Old Montreal are lined with a light blanket of snow, and it is a fairly gloomy day.

Despite this, Montreal has always been one of my favorite cities.

It's one of the greatest hockey cities in the world, and nothing will ever change that.

Within a few minutes, Patrick and I reach the small cafe, and he opens the door, gesturing for me to go first.

"Thanks man." I laugh, as I walk through the door and into the cafe.

The aroma of fresh-brewed coffee is strong in here, and the warm air feels good against my face.

"No problem." Pat says, from behind me.

Patrick and I head up to order our drinks, and I pay for both of them.

Pat thanks me, and within a few minutes, both of our drinks have been made.

We grab them, and head to a table in the corner of the room.

Pat and I sit down across from each other.

I take a sip of my drink, and the feeling of the warm coffee moving down my throat feels good.

I glance across at Patrick, and he is looking down at his hands that cup around his drink.

I clear my throat, before speaking.

"Tired?" I ask, looking across at him.

His eyes flicker upwards, and he smiles.

"Exhausted." He admits, shaking his head.

"Is something happening at home, or are you just tired?" I ask, tilting my head.

He laughs, shaking his head.

"No, no. Everything is fine at home. Actually things are better than fine. I just didn't sleep well last night." Pat shrugs, laughing.

"I see." I say, smiling down at my lap.

"How have you been, Jonny?" Pat asks, smiling.

I look down at my lap before replying.

"I've been doing well, for the most part." I smile.