Chapter 15: Moonlight Waters

{Patrick}

"I've literally grown up eating this ice cream, I can't believe I've never taken you here before." I shake my head, as I run a hand through my blonde curls.

Abby laughs, looking up at me.

It's Monday, July 11, 6:00 in the evening.

Abigail and I have been in Downtown Buffalo all day, enjoying some time together.
We hung out in Downtown, went to the Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame, had lunch together, walked around some more, had dinner at my personal favorite pizza restaurant, and are now having dessert at the best ice cream parlor in the entire world.

Gary's Desserts.

My sisters and I basically lived here during the summers, when we were younger.

It's amazing.

I'm shocked that I have never taken Abby here, in all the times that we've been to Buffalo over the past few years.

"I'm telling you Pat, I've never been here." She shakes her head, looking up at me.

I laugh, throwing my arm around her shoulder loosely.

"Well, you're going to love it." I say, as we move up in line.

There are a few other people in front of us.

Abigail and I reach the front of the line, and order our two ice creams.

I pay, and then we sit down together on the patio of the ice cream parlor.

The sun is beginning to set, and it gives off an orangey glow throughout the sky.

I take my first spoonful of my chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.

That has always been my favorite flavor.

I close my eyes, fully indulging in the ice cream.

"God, I've missed this place." I laugh, swallowing.

The ice cream is cold as it slides down my throat.

I look over at Abigail as she finishes swallowing her first bite of her ice cream.

Her eyes widen, and she looks at me.

"Oh my God, that's good..." She trails off, her brown eyes shining.

"Told you." I wink.

She laughs, taking another bite.

The two of us sit on the patio, facing the sunset.

The buildings reflect the oranges, pinks, and yellows being portrayed by the sun at the moment.

Downtown is quiet, and calm.

Buffalo has always been like that.

Abigail and I eat in silence for a few minutes, simply taking in the atmosphere around us.

Suddenly, a young boy comes up to Abby and I, with a lady who appears to be his mom.

"Excuse me, could he get a picture with you?" She asks, smiling.

I look over to Abigail, who is smiling right back at me.

"Of course." I say, getting up from my chair.

"You are his hero, truly. We saw you sitting here and we just had to come and say hello." His mom smiles, as the boy moves next to me.

I look down at the boy, and put my arm around him.

He looks back up at me, a huge smile on his face.

He's probably about five.

"Hey man. What's your name?" I ask, looking down at him.