Chapter 73: The Key to Life

{Jonathan}

I make my way through the familiar, open, large lobby of Trump Tower.

A few of the workers at the front desk greet me, smiling and nodding as I walk past them.

I still remember most of their faces.

I lived here for a long time, and despite the fact that I don't live in this building anymore, I'm still over at the apartment enough for them to recognize me anyways.

I smile back, and make my way through the lobby towards the elevators.

I get into an elevator, and I press floor eighty-four.

The elevator begins ascending quickly, and I lean against the back wall, looking down at the gift bag in my hands.

It's Saturday, July 22, about 2:00 in the afternoon.

Today, is the baby shower for Patrick and Abigail's twins that should be here in just under two months.

Abby and Patrick went to Buffalo for a couple weeks, but they have now made their way back to The Windy City, and I believe they aren't planning on doing any more traveling until after Abby gives birth to the twins.

I haven't seen Kaner for a couple weeks, and it's going to be awesome to see that little shit again.

The gift bag I am carrying is bright red, with black tissue paper (Hawks colors, of course), and inside of it are a few Blackhawks-themed baby items.

Some of these items include Hawks soothers, Hawks onesies, and of course, two tiny Toews jerseys.

I had to get stuff that is unisex, because only Abby's doctor knows the gender of the twins.

However, we do know that they are fraternal twins, and not identical, we just don't know if they are boys or girls, or one of each.

I got in so much shit for buying two of my own jerseys, even though it was in the 1-2 month old section.

It's going to piss Kaner off so much, that it's going to be hilarious.

I know both Abby and Patrick's families have come down for the baby shower, the Sharp's, Chaunette and Andrew, and the Keith's, are all coming today.

Other than that, I'm not sure if too many other guys from the team are coming, as a lot of them are away in their hometowns for summer break.

The elevator doors slide open on floor eighty-four, and smiling, I make my way down the hallway to the apartment.

I knock on the door, and I can hear a few busy voices coming from the inside already.

Right then, the door swings open, and standing in front of me, is a very-pregnant, Abby Kane.

She has her hair down, and pulled to one side.

She's wearing a strapless black dress that falls all the way to her ankles.

"Hey Jonny!" She smiles, moving aside for me to come in.

"Hey Abigail, wow it seems like it's been forever since I last saw you!" I laugh, as she closes the door behind me.

She holds her arms out, and I hug her quickly.

"I know, it's been a while!" She laughs, as we part from our hug.

"You look great, I never would have guessed that you're seven months pregnant." I joke, laughing.

"Yeah, okay." She rolls her eyes, playfully.

I laugh, and the two of us head further into the apartment, where everyone else is.

People are spread out all across the main floor of the apartment.