Chapter 78: Measurements of Time

{Patrick}

A loud, beeping sound becomes audible, and it wakes me from my deep sleep.

I groan, rolling over and seeing that the clock reads 3:45 AM.

Today, is the day.

In a few hours, Abby and I will be parents.

I slap my hand down on the alarm clock, and it goes into the snooze mode.

I sigh, blinking a few times to clear my vision.

I look out the floor-to-ceiling window at the end of the room, and the city lights are vivid and bright still.

It's early, early morning on Saturday, September 16, and looking out the window, the world is calm.

It's just a few skyscrapers, Abby, and myself on this early autumn morning.

And despite all the excitement and all the chaos that is surely to follow later today, right now, the world is calm.

I look over at Abby, and she's lying on her back, sleeping.

Abby has always been the kind of person that sleeps on her side, so during the later months of her pregnancy, she had troubles sleeping at times because she was forced to sleep on her back.

Right now, she seems to be just fine with it though.

She has a small smile on her face, and one hand rests on her baby bump.

She looks beautiful, as always.

Her hair is naturally straight and down, and has been pulled to one side of her body.

She's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in my life, and she's going to make an excellent mom.

She's the mother of my children.

It's funny to think that those two twins inside of her right now are going to be in this world in just a few hours.

Today, is finally the day that we get to meet them.

I still don't know the gender(s) of the twins yet.

But, I am ready to find out. I'm ready for my life with these two little ones.

I move myself closer to her, kissing her on the cheek gently.

She stirs slightly in her sleep, and I continue to kiss her cheek, and then I move down to her neck, and finally, her collarbone.

I run a hand through her hair, and she giggles, fluttering her eyelids open.

"That's my favorite way to be woken up." She giggles, as she runs a hand through my hair, and pulls me closer to her.

I press my lips to hers, and after a few moments, we part.

"Are you ready?" I ask, smiling down at her.

She nods, smiling.

"Yes. Yes, Patrick, I am. I'm done with being pregnant." She winks, laughing.

I laugh, kissing her on the forehead gently, and then getting up off the bed.

She gets up too, stretching and yawning, and then returning her hand to her baby bump.

She smiles down at her baby bump, clearly having a moment with them.

"We'll get to meet you two today." She breathes, quietly.

I smile, looking down at the ground.

"Pat, you go ahead and shower first, because you have to make breakfast for yourself. I can't eat anything until after the surgery, so you'll probably take longer to get ready than me anyways. I'll make sure we have everything." She smiles, flicking on the light in the room.