Chapter 60: Double Joys

{Patrick}

"Abigail, darling, I don't mean to rush you, but we really have to go now!" I call through the apartment.

I glance at the watch on my left wrist, sighing.

11:50 in the morning on Thursday, March 23.

Abigail has an appointment for her second ultrasound with Dr. Nolan scheduled in ten minutes, and we are running late.

"I'm coming!" She calls back from upstairs.

Right then, she begins jogging down the stairs, and strolls across the main floor of the apartment until she reaches the main entrance, where I am standing.

She's wearing a pair of leggings and a loose grey Lululemon t-shirt.

Her hair is tied up in a high ponytail, and her baby bump is quite obvious.

Abigail is clearly showing, now.

You can tell that she is pregnant basically from any angle, and no matter what she is wearing.

Of course, her bump isn't huge, but it's definitely noticeable now.

From what I've heard, it's uncommon for a baby bump to be this prominent at this stage of pregnancy, but Dr. Nolan says it's just because of the different growth rates of babies.

Abby throws on her jacket, and then looks down at her two pairs of Uggs at her feet.

One are a tan color, and the other are grey.

"Which color?" She asks, looking over at me.

"You'll look amazing in both, love, but can we please get going?" I say, biting my lip.

Abigail rolls her eyes, laughing.

"Calm down, Pat. You sound like Captain Serious." She says, laughing.

I laugh, running a hand through my curls.

"Go with the tan." I say, shrugging.

"Whatever you suggest, I'll go with the opposite." She winks, giggling.

I laugh, rolling my eyes.

"Whatever you say." I laugh, as she slips on the grey Uggs.

With that, the two of us leave the apartment, and make our way to the elevators.

We descend to the underground parking lot, quickly strolling across the concrete and arriving at our car.

She gets in the passenger side, and I get in the driver's side.

I back out, and quickly leave the parking lot, emerging onto the main streets of Downtown Chicago.

I tap my fingers nervously on the steering wheel as I drive.

"Funny," Abby says, a smile in her voice.

"What's funny?" I ask, keeping my eyes locked on the road.

"Last time we were going to an ultrasound, I was the nervous one." She jokes, laughing.

I laugh, shaking my head.

I glance over at her, smiling, before flickering my eyes back to the road.

"I'm not nervous, I'm just anxious." I correct, smiling.

"We won't be late, Pat. I promise." She says, smiling.

I smile, reaching one hand over to her.

She takes my hand, intertwining her fingers with mine.

"Are you excited?" She asks, as she watches Downtown Chicago roll past us through her window.