Chapter 39: Changing Lives

{Patrick}

"Thanks man." I say, as Jonny holds the door to the cafe open for me.

"No problem." He says, as the five of us guys make our way through the small cafe in Downtown Nashville.

It's Thursday, October 13, about 2:00 in the afternoon.

The Blackhawks are in Nashville as we have an away game against the Predators, tonight at Bridgestone Arena.

We left this morning from Chicago, and we leave Nashville tomorrow morning.

We should be back in Chitown by tomorrow night.

Jonathan, Duncan, Sharpie, Shawzy, and myself decided we would all go out for lunch together before we have to leave for the game.

We decided on a small coffee shop/cafe just down the street from our hotel.

It's a cool autumn afternoon in The Music City.

It's cloudy, and there is a crisp breeze that runs through the air.

As we enter the coffee shop, a rush of warm air and the strong aroma of coffee greets us ever so suddenly.

Shawzy and Sharpie grab a table in the corner of the coffee shop near a window, while Duncs, Jonny, and I proceed to the cashier.

We order our drinks, a bagel each, and then we grab the food and head over to our table.

"Thanks for the food, Duncs." Shawzy laughs, as Duncs passes him his drink and bagel.

Duncs offered to pay for all of us, which was extremely nice of him.

"You bet, man. Gotta look out for the young guns sometimes," He laughs, as he sits down.

"Well, Sharpie's not a young gun, he's old, but the rest of you are." Duncs laughs, as he takes a sip of his coffee.

Sharpie laughs, running a hand through his dark hair.

Duncs sighs, as he leans back in his chair.

"Damn it's weird to be on the road again." He says, shaking his head.

"I know what you mean. After an entire summer with friends and family, suddenly being without them is pretty tough." Shawzy adds, nodding.

We all nod, thinking about what has just been said.

It's all true.

You never really realize how much you miss someone, until they are gone.

"It's tough on the girls too." Sharpie shakes his head, sipping his coffee.

"I can only imagine. It's hard enough leaving Abigail, I couldn't even imagine leaving children too." I say, running a hand through my curls.

"That would be pretty much impossible. Leaving Chaunette is super hard for me." Andrew laughs, as he takes a bite of his bagel.

"It's tough." Duncs says, nodding.

Him and Kelly-Rae have little Colton, but they have another little one on the way.

She's due in under a month.

"How is Kelly-Rae doing?" Jonathan asks, looking over at Duncs.

"She's good. Tired, but she's finding this pregnancy easier than last time." He nods.

"Wait, she's pregnant?" Shawzy asks, looking over to the rest of us boys.

We all roll our eyes, laughing.

"Oh my God, Shawzy." Sharpie laughs.

"What!? I didn't know." Shawzy shrugs, taking another bite of his bagel.