Chapter 2: Equivalence

{Patrick}

I roll over onto my side, and force my eyelids to open.

The sun blinds me for a few seconds, as it streams in through the open curtains in my room.

I slowly force my eyes to open more and more, until they are fully opened.

I look to my left and see Abigail lying on her side, her breathing slow and quiet.

Her light brown hair falls around her face elegantly, and her skin is sweet and soft.

A small smile is written on her lips, even while she sleeps.

It's Saturday, June 18, at about 10:30 in the morning.

Abigail and I were out at a Blackhawks team dinner last night, and are both still pretty tired from that.

Last night was great.

This whole experience of winning the Stanley Cup for the fourth time in just six seasons has been incredible.

2010, 2013, 2014, and 2016.

It's unheard of.

I'm still in shock at the fact that the Blackhawks have managed to do all this.

I am happy.

Not the kind of happy where if something bad happens, you become extremely down and discouraged.

No, not that type of happy.

That type of happy is dangerous.

But I am happy in the sense that I am pleased with the way my life is right now.

I couldn't ask for it to be much better, to be honest.

Abigail and I have been together for a while now, and we are very happy with our relationship.

We've grown ridiculously close.

I don't know if it's weird to say, but Abigail is one of my best friends.

I love her in so many ways, one of which being as a friend.

Of course I'm in love with her because she is my girlfriend, but I'm also not afraid to tell her anything.

She's always there for me, no matter what.

And I appreciate that a lot.

Right then, I hear her begin to stir in her light sleep, until she is awake.

I look over to her, and her eyes meet with mine.

They are sleepy and hazed, but she looks absolutely adorable.

"Hey Abbers." I say quietly.

"Hey love." She replies, rubbing her eyes.

"What time is it?" She asks.

"10:45." I reply.

She smiles.

"That was a good sleep in." She giggles.

I nod, approvingly.

She then moves herself over until she's cuddled up with me.

I kiss the top of her head, and she wraps her arms around my body.

She's wearing a white v-neck and spandex, and I'm wearing loose grey sweats and no shirt.

Her arms are warm against my skin.

Abigail has been one of the biggest blessings in my life throughout everything.

Excluding our breakup a few years back, we have been dating for a total time of about six years.