Chapter 53: A Blissful Evening

{Patrick}

The ascending force is strong on my body, as the elevator moves up.

I lean my head back against the elevator wall, exhaling deeply and closing my eyes.

It's Friday, February 10, about 5:00 in the evening.

The Hawks got back from their road trip to Western Canada about an hour ago.

I drove from the airport back to Trump Tower, which leads me to where I am now.

In the elevator of Trump Tower, heading up to the eighty-fourth floor.

I am exhausted.

We had a fairly good road trip, but our game last night against the Flames, seemed to last forever.

It was a tiring, long three periods, and then an exhausting overtime.

Finally, the shootout came along, and after what seemed like forever, Sharpie was able to finish it off.

From the game, we headed straight back to the hotel, where we all spent the night, and a bit of this morning.

After a fairly long flight from Calgary to Chicago, we have finally made it home.

And it is really nice to be back in Chicago.

I yawn, as the elevator doors slide open, revealing the marble hallway that leads to our apartment.

I get out, wheeling my suitcase behind me as I do so.

I walk down the hallway, unlocking the apartment door, and swinging it open.

I move through the apartment entrance, closing the door behind me.

I take off my jacket, toque, and shoes, flattening out my out-of-control curls as I do so.

I run a hand through my hair, continuing to walk through the apartment.

It's been about a week since I've last seen Abigail, and I'm looking forward to seeing her again.

It's been tough, being away from her so often, but it always is.

I feel bad that I missed her first appointment, but there isn't much I can do about that.

I walk towards the kitchen, and then notice Abby making her way down the stairs.

"Hey you!" She giggles, as she reaches the main floor.

Absentmindedly, I move over to where she is, and open my arms.

Giggling, she moves into them, hugging me tightly.

I kiss the top of her head, moving one of my hands down to her belly.

She runs a hand through my curls, kissing my jawline gently.

"Oh God, it's good to be back with you guys." I say, smiling down at her.

She blushes, biting her lip.

Now, when I'm away from Abby, I'm not only away from just her.

I'm also away from the little one inside of her, and that makes things even harder.

"We are both happy to have you back around." She giggles, moving her hand so that it rests over mine, both of ours now over her stomach.

I laugh, tilting her backwards, unexpectedly.

She lets out a little sound of surprise, as I support her by wrapping my arms around her back, and she wraps her arms around the back of my neck.

My eyes fall upon her, and she looks up at me, her eyes shining brightly, and her smile large.