Chapter 50: Explosions in the Sky

{Abigail}

"Patrick, love, could you zip me up?" I ask, holding the back of my dress together as best as I can.

"Yeah, hold on!" I hear him call, from the other side of the room.

I giggle, smiling down at the ground.

It's Saturday, December 31, about 6:00 in the evening.

Tonight, Patrick and I are having a pretty big New Year's Eve party, at the apartment.

We have invited all the Blackhawks players that didn't already have plans with their own families for the evening, both Patrick's sisters, and Chris.

From what I know, the list of guests include, Patrick and Abby Sharp, Brandon Saad and Alyssa, Shawzy and Chaunette, Jonathan, Natalie, Erica, Jessica, Jackie, and my brother, Chris.

Erica, Jessica, and Jackie have been in Chicago pretty much the entire Christmas break, but have been staying with Patrick's parents at a nearby hotel.

None of them want to "intrude" on us, apparently.

Patrick and I insisted that they stay with us, but they had other plans.

Patrick and I did invite our parents to the party tonight as well, but they all felt like they wouldn't belong at a "young people" party.

They decided that they are all going out for dinner tonight in Downtown, while the party is happening.

So, neither Patrick's nor my parents are coming tonight.

I hear Patrick make his way across the bedroom, until I can feel his presence right behind me.

Gently, he grabs the zipper at the back of my dress, and pulls it upwards, his fingers gently brushing against my back as he does so.

He pulls it up, and then steps aside.

I look up, at the mirror in front of us, and notice him standing beside me, a small smile on his face.

He takes my hand, spinning me around.

I twirl under his arm, giggling as he wraps me up closer to his chest.

"You look beautiful, Abby." He says, smiling down at me.

I kiss him on the cheek gently.

"Thank-you, Patrick. You look incredibly handsome." I say, smiling up at him.

He smiles, kissing the top of my head.

He's wearing a purple dress-shirt, and trousers.

Pat and I didn't plan this party to be fancy, but we told everyone to dress up a little bit.

My dress is navy, and falls to just below my knees.

It's a halter dress, and it's beautiful.

My hair falls in loose curls, and my makeup is fairly light.

I look back up at Pat, and he smiles down at me, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"It's not going to be long before those dresses aren't going to fit you anymore." He winks, biting his lip.

My jaw drops, and then I start laughing.

"Asshole." I laugh, shaking my head.

He bites his lip, smirking down at me.

"I'm just kidding," He says, smiling.

I shake my head.

"I know." I roll my eyes, moving my hand to my stomach.