Chapter 31

Chapter 31

As I came out of the bathroom, everyone was sitting down; getting ready for the service to begin. Scanning the room quickly, I found my mom and Justin. I walked over and silently took the seat between them. Justin gave me a small sad smile and my mom reached over and grabbed my hand. The Funeral Director stood up front and talked about how sad is was that such a nice young man had been taken from us at such a young age. His mom went up there and spoke about Zane greatest times, His dad joined her and went on to talk about his passion for football. Sniffly Little Erik stood up there and told us how great of a big brother Zane was and how he was never rude to him. 

"Kae. Would you like to say a few words." Erik said as he finished up. Everyone quickly looked towards me, waiting for my answer. I turn to my mom, hoping that she'll find me away out.It wasn'tthat I didn't want to say great things about Zane, Its the fact that I didn't know what to say, I couldn'tsay that for the past few months we were 'friends with benefits' but he wanted more. I couldn't tell them that he was rude when he didn't get what he wanted. There were so many things that Icouldn't say without sounding rude but then again there were a ton of good things that I could say about the Zane I loved, about the Zane that I wished was still here. My mom nods before giving my hand a tight squeeze. I sigh and stand up. Erik gives me a smile and a small hug before stepping down from the podium. I step up and turn towards all the teary eyed people.

"Zane was great." I smile slight. "He was more focused on what other people wanted then what he wanted." He was the one who wanted us to date and I was the one that kept turning him down. 

"I loved Zane. Really Loved him. He was a really good guy and it was hard not to smile back when he gave you that crooked grin." I try to smile again but cant, My vision blurs as my eyes fill with tears. His mom comes up and hugs me. 

"Sweetie, you don't have to say anything else. The look on your face when you talk about him says it all." She whispers in my ear. I hug her back before going back to  my seat. Justin gives me a quick one armed hug and I lean into my mom.

"Now please enjoy this short video of Zane's short but fully lived life.." Zane's mom and dadannounce before the lights dimmed and a video began to play in front of us. 

It started out with pictures of his parents at the hospital, holding a little bundle of blankets. It moves on to show his first steps. Then the first day of  Kindergarten as he smiled brightly, one of his front teeth missing. It went on and on with first days of school, gradating elementary school and middle school. It showed him going through his cute little boy stage to his awkward back to cute and then finally hot football star.Little videos of him scoring touch downs. Then it getswhere we started going out there were a few pictures of us making funny faces and then it got to the video that I had spent so many years thinking that he had gotten rid of.

"Oh. Look here. Its Kae." You could here Zane say as he came at me with a camera. I looked younger, my hair was shorter and I looked innocent. 

"Zane! Turn The Camera off." I squealed as I looked up from the book in my lap. He turns the camera so its facing him, he shakes his head before turning it back to me and getting closer. "If youdon't I'll throw this pillow at you." Younger me giggles as she pulls a large pillow into her lap. 

"Babe, I'm not turning it off." 

"Fine." The pillow is lifted higher before it goes flying. There's a thud and the camera is almost dropped.

"You throw like a girl." Zane plops down on the couch and the camera shows both of us.

"I am a girl." I pout slightly before laughing.

"Can I have a kiss?" The video shows him leaning in, a smirk forming.

"No." It shows me turning my head away.

"Why not." He frowns.

"Because I hit like a girl."

"But you are a girl." He laughs before kissing me.

I Can feel people watching me as The video goes on to show us kissing but I ignore them and smile at the moments we used to have.

There are a few pictures of us getting ready to leave for a dance, then the pictures of us become less frequent before stopping all together. They go on to show pictures of him and his friends. The pictures get more recent and I smile as one of us making funny faces from just after we started hanging out again flashes on to the screen. The pictures end with a In Loving Memory Of Zane Potter. 

The funeral is then moved and everyone goes back up to the casket. When I get up there I run my thumb over the picture frame that sits a top of it. Zane's face had been so badly scratched that everyone agreed that it would've been better if it was closed. I kiss my hand and touch the picture before moving on and joining my mom and Justin off to the side.

"You alright?" Justin asks me.

"Considering the situation, Yes." My mom hands me a tissue and I wipe at me eyes.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~