thirty eight

• Jordan's POV •

The police car stopped outside my house but I didn't move. I didn't want to go back inside. The cop got out and opened my door for me, escorting me to the front of my house. He knocked on the door and we both stood on the porch for a few moments, waiting for my dad to answer the door. I grabbed my phone and quickly typed out a text to Will.

I love you so mu but then my dad opened the door and I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. He stood there and smiled at the officers. He smiled. I could see my mom in the kitchen but she wouldn't even look at us.

"Thank you," my dad told the officers. He closed the door behind me and crossed his arms. "Give me your phone," he said.

"What?" I asked. He could not be serious.

"Give me your phone," he repeated.

"Just let me finish this text," I said, staring at the unfinished text to Will.

"No," he said and extended his hand. I sent what I had before he snatched it from between my fingers. I love you so mu. Wow, what a way with words you have, Jordan. My dad read the words on my screen and I held my breath.

"You think you love him?" He asked me. I nodded.

"You don't understand," I pleaded.

"You're right," he said. "I don't understand,"

"Please, just-"

"No," he interrupted. He looked disappointed as he walked away. Why is he the one who is disappointed? Shouldn't I be the one disappointed in him? I walked into the kitchen and sat down, waiting for my mom to acknowledge my presence. She never did. She kept her back turned to me and she didn't say a word.

"Mom," I said. She stopped but stayed silent. "Mom, please," I said. I could feel tears starting to form in my eyes. I wiped them away quickly. I wouldn't give my father that satisfaction.

"Jordan, not today, okay?" She said softly.

"Mom, I'm still me," I said. "I'm still your son. I haven't changed. I just found someone who loves me. Maybe I'm happier. But don't you want to see me happy, Mom?" I asked. Tears were flooding down my face. I couldn't help it. My mom turned and looked at me, finally. Her eyes were glazed over too.

"Jordan, you know that I only want the best for you,"

"Then let me see Will. He makes me so happy, Mom," I almost yelled. I wiped my tears and took a deep breath. "Do you remember when you first met Dad?" I asked.

"Jordan," she warned.

"Do you?" I repeated. She nodded.

"Of course I-"

"Do you remember how you felt?" I persisted.

"Yes-"

"That's how I feel right now. I am so in love with him. Why does anything else matter as long as I'm happy and not hurting anyone?" I asked, exhausted. She didn't answer me but a few tears dripped down her face. You never want to make your mother cry but maybe this was for the good. "He's moving in a few weeks anyways. Can't I just spend this time with him while I have it?" I almost whispered. She closed her eyes and stayed silent. After a few moments she turned and headed towards the stairs.

"I'm tired," she said. "You should talk to your father,"