Phase X Four

When it was Usagi's turn to get off the boat, she bolted straight into the forest. Her plan was to hide in the shadows and wait for her target to show up. She stayed high up in the trees all that day, and that night she finally spotted someone, though it wasn't her target. It was Killua. She decided to remain in the trees and see how long she could hide from him.

That same night, someone was in the bushes staking Killua because he was his target. He was getting ready to attack, when Killua turned around. "Oi! I know you're there! Come out!" He yelled. His stalker gulped, and was about to come out when Usagi jumped down from a tree branch that was very high up. Immediately, he hid again.

"Awww, how'd you know I was there?" She asked, pouting a bit.

"I could just tell. You kinda made some noise jumping from branch to branch to keep up with me," He explained. She nodded in understanding.

"Then you must've realized I'm not he only one following you," She pointed out, jabbing a thumb in the direction of his pursuer. He nodded.

His stalker stood up just then to run away, but Usagi was too quick for him. She pulled out her gun and fired, hitting him in the arm. "Ugh, my aim's off today," She sighed.

When the guy fell, two others appeared and tried to fight her too. She quickly shot them in their arms, too. "I guess I just really like hitting their arms," She stated, rubbing her head.

"You're really good with that gun," Killua commented.

"Thanks. I decided I'd use one because my dad didn't teach me how to use them, and I don't want to depend on them, y'know?" She explained, walking over to the three. They were still alive, but she took their tags with no trouble at all. She held them up. "Any of these yours?" She asked, putting the one that belonged to her in her pocket.

"Yeah, that one," He said pointing, to one that was in her hand. She threw it to him and ran to a huge tree and climbed it, stopping on a very large branch. She looked down to Killua.

"You should come up here. It's kinda fun!" She told him. Shrugging, he came up the tree as well. "I vote we live here for the next week," She stated, looking up at the sky.

"I'm okay with that," He agreed, looking at her. Usagi was sitting up against the branch as it curved up and Killua was up against the tree trunk. "Hey, can I ask you a question?" He asked.

"You're always asking me that," She stated, smiling. "Go ahead."

"You're dream. You were being tortured, weren't you," He said.

She nodded slowly, avoiding eye contact.

"Why?" He asked, a little shocked.

"Because, I had just gotten back from an assassination mission, but I failed because a Zoldyck did it before I could. That's why. My parents hated you guys," She explained.

"Heh, I'd probably hate my parents too. Do you know which one of us it was?" He asked.

"Actually," She pondered,"I think it was you who beat me to that one."

His eyes widened. "I-I'm sorry about that," He apologized. She waved it off.

"I've had worse happen to me," She said.

"Like what?" He prodded.

"Umm, let's see... Of course there was the torturing my sister and mother put me through. Sachiko, my sister, just wanted to watch me suffer. I was always the first picked for assassination missions because my father liked me more. But that's off the topic. I've been left in that really dark torture room for like a week before. And I wanna say she also liked to cut my back, I think. I'd probably still have scars if she did, but that's the weird thing. The only scars I have were from injuries I did to myself purposely, like when I cut my ankles," She explained. Killua looked a little shocked.

"I know for a fact that she used this electric rod to electrocute me, too, and that her favorite weapons were these gloves that could be heated up and felt like irons. She also liked fire, but just hurting me in general was like waking up on Christmas morning for her. She loved it," She stated, a bit quietly.

"I didn't know other families did that, I thought it was just mine," He said, softly. Usagi looked at him.

"Your parents did that too?" She asked. He nodded. They were quiet after that.

"I still can't believe Usagi's family would do that to her! I mean, sure, my parents did it to me, but I didn't think anyone else had to go through that too! Usagi's too good for that. She deserves better... What on earth is wrong with me?! I don't think my heart is supposed to be beating this fast!" Killua thought. "Is it because of Usagi..?"

"I always hated it when she tortured me, but the real punishment was afterwards. When I had to be around my family," Usagi said, breaking the silence. "I can take the beatings, torturings, and punishments, but the fact that they expected me to still love them was unbearable. How can I love someone who's done that to me? They beat me with fire, electricity, water, whips, knives, you name it, they used it. But what I hated the most was the aftershock," She stated, staring off into space and remembering those times.

Killua punched the tree. "How could they do that to you!?" She looked up at him. "That's brutal, and they did it all because they wanted to teach you a lesson?! That's horrible!" Usagi's eyes watered, though they were still gold. "I... I just can't stand the thought of that happening to you... I promise that I'll never let anyone else hurt you again," He finished, looking her in the eyes.

She looked back, and hugged him. "Thanks." When they broke away, Usagi still had her arms around him, and he still had his arms around her. Their faces were only a few inches apart, and they couldn't move. They were frozen in each other's gazes. When they realized what was going on, they both began blushing and broke away from each other.

They went to sleep after that.