6

H a r r y

There was something different about my pillow. It smelled like vanilla which is too girly. And my duvet was softer than it had to, also smelling like vanilla. I kept my eyes squeezing shut and groaned, waking up my body to sit on the couch. Wait, couch? I opened my eyes and my blurry sight was fixing slowly. I finally found myself in awe because sure as hell I had 0 idea about this place. I furrowed my eyebrows, starting to get worried. I was not in my place.

I looked down trying to remember what happened last night, but all I could remember was getting trashed. Did I fuck someone? It better be a girl. I better be using protection or well, she better be on pills.

I heard the door and flinched and I found the least person I expected to see right now.

Sapphire?

"Oh, I see you're awake?" I heard a soft voice. I looked up to see who it was and found her. The least person I wanted to see.

Sapphire.

She put the paper bags down and approached me. "Morning, Harry. How do you feel?"

I stayed silent with my mouth hung open, collecting my common sense, calling my consciousness.

"Please don't tell me you remember nothing from last night?" She walked closer and put her morning groceries beside the couch.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I snapped.

"It's my place," She chuckles. Good one, Styles. Good one.

I stayed silent then she continued. "Well you clearly do-"

"Why the fuck am I here?" I spat, making her flinch. "What did you do? Shit, what did we do? I can't be here. Did your parents ever warn you not to bring home strangers?"

"Did yours? Because the last time I checked, you were the one begging me to not take you to your place."

"Don't give me that shit." I spat back.

"Well if you let expl-"

"Did we fuck last night?" She cringed at my choice of word and bluntness but gave me no answer. "No! What the fuck, Sapphire? We barely know each other and you knew I was drunk? What the heck were you thinking?" I quit yelling as she walked away from me to the kitchen, without a single word leaving me speechless. 

Is she fucking serious right now? What is she doing? Seconds later I found her making her way back to me. "Here, drink this first. Your head is probably killing you right now." She handed me a glass of water and some Advil, concern filling her smile. Is she even real right now?

If she's trying to kill me with her gentle and kindness, she nailed it.

-

S a p p h i r e

So just like I thought, he flipped. It's not that I did not expect for him not to, but I guess he overreacted.

"Here, drink this first. Your head is probably killing you right now." I handed him a glass of water and Advil. He took it away from me and I mumbled a quick 'you're welcome'. What? That's the least he could say, right?

"Did I say anything I weird last night?" He asked worriedly

"Not really. You were mumbling, I couldn't really hear what you said," I hesitated before I asked him. "W-Who's Ruby?"

I wonder why does he always seem to be so surprised upon my simple questions. This was just like when I asked him his favorite poem.

"None of your business." He snapped again. I like drunk Harry better.

"You sure? You sort of involved me in your mumbling session, don't you think I'm entitled to know now? You said something about this Ruby leaving. Do you want me to take you to her? I mean if sh-"

"Just drop it." And I went silent.

"Would you like something to eat? Toast, panca-"

"Fuck, do you always ask this much? I swear the Advil didn't help at all if you keep asking" Ouch, that wasn't very nice to say to the one who let your drunken ass sleep on their couch. "I need to go now," he cut me again.

"You can't. You're not in your best condition. Let me at least drive you home." And I offered.

"Fine. I left my car at the pub's parking lot, just get me there." I nodded and grant his last wish. We got to the pub shortly, and he immediately rushed out from my car.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay? I can still drive you home." I softly. 

But Harry being Harry, he yelled, "Will you please just leave?"

I just nodded since he was the one in my place.

-

H a r r y

"Dude! Where were you last night?" I got to my place, receiving a warm welcome from Jermaine. 

"Will you please lower your voice? My head hurts." 

He smirked and I shot him a glare. "I'M SORRY!" He screamed. 

"Fuck you." I said completely pissed at my very immature flatmate. 

"Chicks not dicks anyways, right? So, have you been drinking again? Your body itself is a liquor factory already. Control yourself, Styles." He soon added. I shot him a middle finger and he walked away. "Good luck with your hangover! You got a class at 4." He screamed. Fuck, of course. Class.

I woke up from my tight rest and got ready. I brushed my teeth because it must've smelled like shit, and changed into something more presentable. I drove to the campus, walked to my class. I sat on my chair at the back of the class. Mr. Baldhead who I still have not learned who his real name walked in and started to talk for 2 fucking hours and it was as if my headache was coming back.

"So here's my last thought. Today marks your first day of the semester, but I'm not going to waste our precious time. As your first assignment, I want you to make a poem, a modern poem. This needs to come from your heart. The length and theme are for you to decide on your own. I expect to see them by tomorrow on my desk. You're dismissed."

I walked back to my car and hopped in. I was still for a second when I found out the car parked across mine. It was hers. She was there. Sapphire. She sent me her stupid polite smile and waved her hand to me. I kept my straight face on and drove off right away. I got to my flat, placed my shit next to my bed and laid on my bed.

What should I write? My thoughts were later distracted by Ruby. Ruby. Ruby. Ruby. I'll never grow tired of thinking about her. I remembered every single moment spent with her. When she wanted me to go with her to the salon. When she wanted me to go with her to the movies. To eat expensive dinners. Yes, she cost me quite a lot of money, but don't all guys these days do that now? Besides, it's Ruby. I'd do anything to please her. Then it hits me. I took my pen and paper out and started to write. I poured everything onto the paper. The poem itself speaks agony. I start from the title,

Fool's Gold.