38

S a p p h i r e

Harry: Babe, Ruby's fooling out again, hv to cancel tonite. Sorry, I'll make it up tomorrow.

Deleted.

I sighed because I knew it was going to happen. Ever since Ruby came back, I never got the time to be with Harry. We didn't even get to finish our last argument, and he didn't get to finish his sentence. Of course there were times when he was with me, but his mind was always somewhere else. Ruby. My thoughts were once again interrupted by my ringing phone.

Harry.

"Hello?"

"Babe, did you get my text? I'm sorry I had to cancel our-"

"I did, it's okay."

"Why didn't you reply- Ruby, stop." He was laughing suddenly and I frowned. "Ruby, stop tickling me!"

"I-I was going to but then you called-"

"Sorry, what was that?" Then I heard her laughing on the background.

"I said I was just going to text you back."

"Harry let's go!" Ruby said again. "Hey babe, I'm sorry. I have to go, okay?"

"Y-yeah, it's fine."

"I'll see you tomorrow?" Shoot. Tomorrow.

"Oh one more! Harry don't forget it's my audition tomo-"

"Harry!" She squealed. "I got to go. Bye baby."

And he hung up just like that. "Bye, I love you." I whispered as I stare at my phone. Don't cry. Don't cry. You have to trust him. They're just friends. You were never one of those girls.

Yes. I've never done this before, but yes. I trust you.

You're worth a try too, Sapphire.

That's it then. Let's be shitty together.

You and me, Sapphire.

I remember him saying those words and I smiled. That was how we started. Trust. I couldn't forget it, he trusted me with his heart and he knew I'd never do anything to break it. And I he had my trust too, even after he knew my past. Maybe Ruby was just our first challenge in our... whatever relationship we're having him. Remember what you said, Sapphire.

I wouldn't depend our fate on anything, especially when they're trying to separate us.

"Oh, you're still here?" Someone patted my shoulder, and I knew it was Kyle.

"I was just leaving. Good night, Kyle." I smiled but he held my arm when I was starting to walk away.

"Do you want to go get a quick dinner?" He asked.

"No thank you, I'm not hungry." I just want to lay down on my bed and listen to sad songs as I cry in grief.

"Then let's take a walk at the park." He insisted. Maybe he knew what was happening to me. I owe him a talk because Harry blew at us again this morning anyways, so...

"That could work," I smiled and we started to walk side by side to the park. He hasn't started the Harry talk yet; I knew he was trying to warm me up with such regular talks. He told me stories about Mr. Handersen, Abby, oh how I miss her. And how he started his band. We also bought some coffee, which he insisted before we reach the park.

"I lost my girlfriend too, you know. I know the pains and the aches. I was the guy who hid everything behind my smile too, just like you."

"Painful, huh?" I smiled pathetically.

"Very. I loved her so much, still thinking about her sometimes."

"What happened?" I asked and his smile faded in instant. "You don't have to answer that. Sorry, if I remind you of her. I was just-"

"She died in a car crash 3 years ago." He breathed.

"Kyle-"

"Her name was Leila. She looked a lot like you, but with lighter hair and darker eyes." He sighed. "I was eighteen, just graduated. I was driving. We were in a huge argument, screaming at each other. I told her to stop hitting me because I was driving, but she wouldn't. She hit my eye, and that was when I lost it. I didn't even remember why we were fighting, Sapphire. I blamed myself ever since."

"Kyle... I don't know what to say,"

"You don't have to."

"You don't seem broken to me, that's good, right?" Damn, did I really need to say that?

"I was desperate for three months. I didn't eat, I didn't talk, and I didn't even sleep much. All I did was cry, a total mess. But I thank God for my family, my grand father, and my best friends, which are my band mates. It took them a long time to keep up with me, and then Abby was born, that was when I was healed. She's just my niece, but she's like my little angel."

"Kyle, that's amazing. You're a strong one, Kyle." I pat his back and smiled.

"The point is, they made me realize. 'You know what's the most precious thing you could never pay for? The second that just passed.' My grandpa said. And I realized that your past is just a story; don't give it the power to haunt you. I'm not saying that I just want to forget about her. I would never even have the strength to, because she would always be my heart's happiest. But I had to realize that it's not about her anymore, and I had to move on."

He smiled, this time looking at me and I stared at him in awe. If only Harry knew what kind of guy Kyle is, he would think twice over his actions towards him.

"I love her too much that I don't want our memories to became nightmares. I love her too much that I only want to smile each time I remember her. I want everything about her to stay beautiful, just like she was." He smiled at the end. And I knew right then, he was thinking of her.

"You deserve everything good in this world, Kyle. You're an amazing guy, she must've been a very lucky girl, and I know that someone else will be lucky also." I meant it. I knew I would if I could love him, but Harry was the one for me. He must be.

"Whatever's happening with you and Harry right now, it'll be okay. I mean it when I said you could tell me every time you feel like you need to talk, Sapphire. I understand. You're my friend now, aren't you?"

"You are, Kyle."

"Let's walk you home."

-

"Thank you so much for this, Kyle. I had a really good time." We reached the front of my apartment building. I would ask him to go up and have a drink, but I think Harry would mind. He didn't know Kyle better just yet.

"You're welcome, Sapphire. Bye!"

"Oh, Kyle! I'm sorry, do you mind if I finish early tomorrow? I have an audition at Fairmont, I just want to prepare so I wouldn't mess up. But I understand if you-"

"Fairmont?! Sapphire, that's kind of a big deal. Would Harry be there? He must be, though. Right? I mean, I know I would be there, but it's not the best idea since... Nevermind. Good luck, by the way! I know you'll kill it."

"I hope he would be. He said he would, though. But thank you so much! It means a lot to me." I smiled and he widened his arms, gesturing me to hug him.

"Bring it in," He said and I gave a short friendly hug. "You're welcome again."

"See you tomorrow, Kyle."