40

H a r r y

7.22 PM

Fuck traffic. Fuck Ruby. Fuck everything, and I should go fuck myself. I didn't remember Sapphire's audition until some guy at the bar asked me what time was it. With that, I left the bar right away leaving Ruby screaming my name. Fuck. How would she act towards all this? Should I tell her I was drinking around with Ruby, again? Did she think that I was with Ruby?

I rushed out from my car immediately; I didn't even park my car properly, I think I dropped the trashcan. What song did she sing? Did she play the piano? How was the judge's reaction to her performance? You'd know if you were there, bastard.

When I almost reached the main door, I saw Sapphire walked out the building. Sapphire... and Kyle.

I was supposed to feel angry like usual. But the same burning fire I felt the last time I saw him was not fully there. It has turned in to guilt. If I had come earlier, it wouldn't be him who she walked out the door with. If I were around she would have not invited him. If I were still the same Harry she loved, she'd have not turned to Kyle.

I could've been there for her, but no. I just had to drawn in Ruby's attention seeking actions and demands. I just had to get lost of the whole past lover idea.

"Oh, hey man." Kyle spotted me first then smiled.

"Sapphire," I was not even in the mood to fight Kyle. "H-how was the audition?" My voice was shaky. If there was any sadness inside her at the moment it must've been from me. I was the cause. I was the man who I promised myself to never be, just like any other jerks.

It was as if Kyle could read her mind because he answered, "She did amazing, man. She sang beautifully. She's definitely getting in. They must've been crazy if they don't pick her." It was silent and Kyle was somehow tried to help by breaking the silence. I went from fuming to appreciating his help.

"Thank you, Kyle." She smiled weakly.

I stayed nodded and stayed silent until Kyle decided to speak up agai. "I'll just leave you tw-"

"Kyle.." She sighed.

"Kyle, I thought you were-"

"Sapphire, it's cool. Harry here will take you home right?" He looked at me, signaling to speak up.

"Yes, thanks Kyle. Look, baby I'm so sor-"

"Save it. It's fine." Her face was straight as she looked away and Kyle started to walk away from us after he patted her back as a way to say goodbye.

"Do you want to go home now?" I asked. She didn't answer anything, she just sighed and walked towards my car.

"You dropped the trashcan," She said before she entered the car.

"Y-yeah, I was umm, I was in a rush because-"

"Because you forgot?" She finally dared to look at me in the eyes.

"Sapphire-"

"You know what? Let's just drop it. I'm tired and I'm assuming you're too. Just drop me off at my building." Tired of me, huh?

"Umm, do you want me to stay over?" I offered. It felt like a bloody long time since I did, I kind of miss the sight of her sleeping soundly around my arms. "I could tell Ruby to-"

"Let's just stay on each other's places for the night," She answered.

"Yeah, anything for you." Anything but skipping her audition?

I started to drive to her place, and the silence was killing me. I didn't even dare to turn on the radio, and she didn't look through the windows staring at the road as usual. She was looking down pretending she was busy with her cell phone. I walked her up to her room when we got there. She didn't protest, but she stayed silent, which was more terrifying.

"Thanks," She said as she reached her door.

"May I come in for a while?" I dared ask, and she nodded.

She opened the door and gestured me to come in first. "Just for a while. Sorry, I'm pretty tired." She answered and it broke me when I saw her forcing her smile. How could she was still trying to hide it?

"Sapphire?" I started. "I'm so sorry." She kept her mouth shut and stared at me.

"It's fine." She couldn't be.

"I'm so sorry. Ruby wanted me-"

"Seriously, it's cool." She sighed, and cut me before I opened my mouth again. "I mean, that's the only thing you've been saying. Ruby wants me to do this, to go where, to buy that, it's been Ruby, Ruby and Ruby." I was a bit lost in her small sudden outburst. What was she trying to say?

"Your point being?"

"I'm starting to lose you, Harry." She said weakly, already holding back her tears.

"Hey, you're never going to lose me." I stepped closer to her.

"Harry, when was the last time we actually spent time together? It's been ages! Ever since Ruby came along, everything's been about her. When do I have you again?"