The Sound of Baby Steps and Laughter

Katie's POV

I woke with a smile on my face as I listened to the baby monitor crackled to life with the laughter of my fiancee and our year and a half old son. I listened closely as my son begged for his father to stop tickling him while Shawn just kept on going. 

I soon heard the laughter die away and the pitter patter of tiny foot steps run towards my bedroom. I closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep. My son ran straight towards the bed and tried to jump onto the bed but didn't quite make it. I fought myself to not smile, soon I heard Shawn enter the room. 

"Hey bud, need some help getting up?"  Shawn asked our son. 
"Yea Daddy,"  SJ replied. 

Soon I felt the bed dip slightly just to the side of me and soon afterwards I felt the weight of our son land on my stomach. I opened my eyes and his laughter filled my ears. I smiled and brought him down to my face and blew a raspberry on his cheek which just caused him to laugh even more. 

I looked at the clock and realized the time and slide SJ on to the ground which caused him to pout slightly; I then slid from underneath the covers and picked up my son before the both of us joined by my fiancee walked downstairs. 

Once downstairs, I set SJ in his high chair while Shawn made him his breakfast. As Shawn fed our son, I got started to breakfast for the two of us as well as Maddie and Bea who would be soon waking up. 

"Aunt Beaaa!"  I heard SJ squeal when he saw his godmother. 

It brought a smile to my face. Shawn and I officially made Bea the godmother to SJ just over 6 months ago because he was always asking about her when she was gone. 

"Little Man,"  Bea squealed back. 

I laughed at the exchange and went back to making breakfast. Not long after Bea came down, Maddie decided to grace us with her presence. I quickly finished breakfast and served it to the three hungry mouths sitting around me. 

Not long after we ate breakfast, my mom stopped by and picked up her grandson so both Shawn and I could go to the studio. Because of the deal I made with Hollywood Records just a few days before SJ was born, I had to release my fourth album within a year and a half after releasing my third studio album since I wasn't going on a tour to go along with it, my third studio album named Brighter Days was released when SJ was just eight months old; while I had some time left to finish it up, I wanted to beat my dead line but a long shot. 

I already knew that I would have to tour with this album which I was nervous for because I didn't want to be away from my son for long periods of time. I was hoping that this tour would allow for Shawn to bring SJ with him to several stops because I'd miss both my boys way too much if I didn't get to see them all that often. 

Once I got to the studio, I got right to singing. Today I was recording a cover a 5SOS song Long Way Home, I was doing it in an acoustic and I changed up the lyrics in the slightest bit with the permission from the boys. I was also recording my own songs that I wrote called Aftermath, Down South, Airplanes and finally The City.  

After several long hours of recording and editing, I was able to go pick up my son and spend the evening with him and my loving fiancee. I stuck around my parents house for a little bit, we mainly talked business about SafeHouse Records since I now officially own 25% of the company. We talked about new prospects and if we were going to sign a few of them or not. 

SafeHouse Records was actually pretty big now, over the last few years we have signed about 50 artists to one or two album contracts and many have chosen to stay with us beyond that point. My Aunt Selena was actually in a joint deal with SafeHouse and so were my uncles Harry and Niall from their solo days when the band went on hiatus. The company became pretty powerful as of the late and it made me happy.

Shawn soon called me and told me that dinner was ready, so I gathered our son and left my parents house and made the fifteen minute drive to my house. Along the way, I listened to what my son had to say about his day with his grandma and grandpa and his Uncle Alex and the kids. While his speech wasn't the strongest, it sure was the cutest. 

When we reached the house, I pulled into the garage and turned the car off. I let my son from his car seat and onto the floor where he ran to the door and impatiently waited for me to reach the door and let him inside.  Once inside, Nightingale greeted my son with a kiss and guarded him as they walked through the house and into the kitchen. I followed not far behind only straying to put away my shoes. 

When I came into the kitchen, Shawn already had SJ in his high chair and was getting his bowl of mac and cheese cut up into small pieces. When Shawn was coming back by our son, he gave me a peck on the lips and sat by our son to feed him. I then went and put both of our dinners onto different plates and brought them to where we sat. 

"Where are Maddie and Bea at," I asked.

"Bea is out with Jacob which means that he will be here in the morning and Maddie is at your grandparents for the night," Shawn said.

After we finished eating, we both played with SJ for a little bit before it was time for his bath. So together Shawn and I took him upstairs and gave him a bath, along him some play time in the bubbles before we finally called it a night for SJ and got him ready for bed. After SJ went down, Shawn and I went downstairs and watched TV while we laid with each other on the couch. 

Shawn's hand was buried in my hair, playing with it and little did he know that he was slowly putting me to sleep. 

I woke up much later that night and found the TV still on and Shawn fast asleep beneath me. I cuddled closer to him and smiled about my life. I watched as he slept silently, it wasn't long before I felt his arm tighten around my waist and pull me closer to him. 

"Didn't your mom ever tell you that it's not nice to stare,"  Shawn mumbled.

"She may have, I don't exactly recall that conversation,"  I said with a smirk

This caused Shawn to laugh out loud. We soon heard the door open and close, the hallway was soon filled with voices from Bea and Jacob. I looked at the time and saw that it was only approaching 11 at night. 

I rolled my head into Shawn's neck and groaned which only caused him to laugh again. 

"Maybe we should go upstairs?"  Shawn asked.

"Sounds like a good idea babe,"  I replied.

Shawn rolled off the couch and stood up before stretching out and helping me stand up. Together, hand in hand, we walked towards the stairs where Bea and Jacob just sat talking. I smiled when I saw them, they really were cute together and I hoped that he would pop the question soon. 

"Goodnight Bea and Jacob, see you in the morning,"  Shawn and I said together.  
"Goodnight you guys,"  Both Bea and Jacob said in unison.   

 While Shawn went to the bathroom, I went to check up on SJ and smiled to myself at how cute he looked when he was fast asleep. I didn't notice that Shawn came into the room until he was standing behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist and placed his chin on my shoulder. 

"He's so handsome," Shawn whispered

"Just like his daddy," I said with a smile on my lips.

Shawn kissed my cheek before leaning down a kissing our son and leaving the room. I watched him for several moments before I soon followed suit. 

I quickly changed into my pajamas before crawling into my bed and cuddling into Shawn and falling fast asleep.