Chapter 38~ It's My Time To Shine

Katie's POV

Three days ago, Nick and I had dropped Demi off at her private jet and I would be lying if I said that it was an easy thing to do. I was going to miss her so much over the next two weeks, I was half tempted to ask if I could join her but I didn't because I had a performance on 'The Voice'  with Bea along with my interviews and small concert and I just couldn't back down from that. On top of all that, I had hockey practice for a co-ed team that Nick found that I had tried out for two weeks ago, and lastly dance team practices at a studio that Demi found. On the way home, Nick and I made small talk, basically planning how these next two weeks we go between his studio times and interviews and my studio times and everything else I had going on. 

When we got home, Nick and I went upstairs to the music room which Nick was starting to turn into an in-home studio and I was helping out any way I could. According to Nick it would be alot easier if we had an in-home studio so once the babies were born because it would be caotic lugging three babies to the studio for either one of them to record a new song or in Nick's case record and produce music. My Uncle Joe was coming over in a little bit to help Nick put up the sound proofing walls. While that was happening I was going to take Thor on a walk and then going over review the next two weeks with Nick real fast before going out to the movies with Maddie. 

Soon Uncle Joe came over and I was able to leave with Thor to walk around the neighborhood. I felt like the walk was to short so I quickly went home and grabbed some of his toys from next to the back gate and then went to the local dog park that was not far from my house. I spent almost two hours with Thor at the dog park, I got all sweaty. By the time I got home it was already 4pm and I had to still shower, get ready and discuss this week with Nick one last time.  I quickly jumped into the shower and washed up and not wasting any time got out before I went to brush out my hair and get dressed. 

When I was finishing up my phone rang out and it was an unknown number, I cautiously answered it. 

"Hello?"  I asked

"Hey, is this Katie Lovato?"  The fimiliar yet mysterious voice asked 

"Yea it is, who is this?"  I asked 

"My name is Jack Johnson and I'm from the Jack & Jack and I was wondering if you were busy on Friday? My friend and bandmate Jack Gilinskey and I are in serious need of your voice. We are performing on Good Morning America and we are doing several songs that include Jake Miller and he can't make it but he gave us your number telling us that you could cover his music amazingly"  Jack said

"Hang on let me see if I'm busy"  I said

I put my hand over the speaker on the phone and ran down to the kitchen where my dad and uncle Joe were hanging out. 

"Dad, what are my plans with music this Friday?"  I asked

"Ummm, you don't have hockey practice but you have a mid-morning studio session and then early afternoon you have dance team and your mini concert in the evening"  My Dad said 

"Jack & Jack need my help at Good Morning America"  I said 

My dad looked at my Uncle Joe. I could tell that they were having a silent conversation. My dad then looked back at me. 

"Alright, you can do it but I won't be the one taking you. I will move your studio time to Saturday afternoon and I will call Selena, Marissa and Dallas to see if they can take you to GMA"  He said 

I smiled at him and pecked his cheek before I brought the phone back to my ear.

"Hey Jack? I have no plans going on until that evening but I'll be back here in time so I can help you guys out"  I said

"Great, do you think you can be out here Thursday evening? We want your voice in a few other songs and want to practice them with you"  Jack said 

"I don't see a problem with that, just send me the music so I can start working on it"  I said 

"Alright I will just text me your email"  Jack said 

"Alright I will, bye Jack"  I said 

"Bye Katie"  Jack said

I hung up the phone and went back to getting ready for my night with Maddie. It didn't take long, I just put my hair up and then got my shoes on and waited for my Grandma Dianna's car to pull in. I soon saw it and yelled goodbye to my dad and went out. 

Maddie and I were going to see Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 and then going out to dinner with my Grandma and Grandpa. 

~Skip Movie and Dinner~

Grandma and Grandpa just dropped me off from dinner, I saw my Uncle Joe's car was still here but there was also another car that I didn't know in the driveway. I made my way into the house and up to the music room. 

Thor laid outside the music rooms door and I walked into it, there stood my Uncle Joe, Dad and three unfimiliar people who I learned are Paul, James and Robbie. They were putting up the wall for inbetween the recording part of the studio and the sound booth part of the studio. They made some major progress in the few short hours I was gone. 

Nick saw me standing in the doorway and smiled at me. 

"Katie you will be accompanied by Selena, Marissa and Dallas and Joe to New York for GMA on Thursday afternoon so you need to have your bag packed that morning"  He said 

I just smiled and nodded at him, my exaustion was started to show. I went into my room with Thor following behind me. I quickly changed before I called my mom on the phone and talked to her before  I want to sleep for the night. My mom was so excited that I was performing on GMA, she was sad to have to  miss it but she said that she would be at my next performance on the show no matter what and I knew that she would be without a doubt.

I was nervous for Friday which just so happened to be in two days. So I had two days to learn my verse in one song and a completely new song as well as have a mini concert with Bea that evening. God, I have no idea how my parents and friends do this, but it is my dream so it's worth it. It's quiet exaushting to even think about it.  By the time I fell asleep in was close to midnight. 

When I woke up the following morning it was just past 4am, I ade sure to take care of Thor while Nick was making breakfast for myself as well as himself. I had hockey practice in an hour and then after that I had dance team and then finally I had a writing session as well as a studio session. My day was go-go-go until tonight when I would finally get home. By the time I everything for hockey ready and into the car it was 4:45 which meant I would have 15 minutes to eat and get out the door and be on my way to hockey practice. 

I quickly scarfed my food down before making a mad dash out to the car and leaving the house with Nick. By this point it was already 5:00am and I needed to be ready to go on the ice by 5:30. Thankfully the rink wasn't more then a 15 minute drive in the mornings, since normal people were just getting up. 

When we got there, I quickly grabbed my stuff and ran into the building with my bulky bag. I ran to my locker room cubby and quickly got into my practice gear before any guys started to show up. I had to share a dressing room with them since I was the only girl on the team so I normally got there first so I could gear up first and I left last so I could undress in privacy. 

At first, nobody on the team believed me that I was Demi's daughter but that soon stopped when she came to a morning practice and then sang the national anthem at the home opener game. That night she was announced as my mom which was amussing in itself. 

My main jerseys says LOVATO in big bolded black letters but I have a jersey that says LOVATO-JONAS in slightly smaller letters in case I decided to add Jonas onto my name offically since technically it was part of my name cause Nick adopted me and all but it wasn't attached to my name publicly. My jersey number is 88 and my team is the Los Angeles Cougars. For our home game jerseys our colors were sky blue and black but for our away game jerseys our colors were a white and  black with the alternate jerseys being complely black with deep sky blue for the gloves, helmet and pads. But our practice jerseys were either blue or white to indicate which side you played on for practice. 

For warm up we did indian suicides which would normally be a workout you did for running sports because it was a sprinting drill so it made an interesting hockey drill. For practice we just scrimaged since we had our second game the week that Demi came back home.

Practice was about two hours long and added to the fact that I was the last head into the locker room to change. When I emerged from the locker room, I found Aunt Selena waiting in the lobby area of the arena. I was so confused as to why she was there and I guess she sensed that. 

"You're dad got called into his studio session a lot earlier then was supposed to happen. So he called me to pick you up and take you home. There you will eat something real fast and grab your dance gear and we are going to the dance studio for your dance team practice. If he gets out from his meeting then he will pick you up from dance and take you to the studio otherwise you're stuck with me until he gets out"  Aunt Selena said 

"Cool"  I said tiredly 

I followed Aunt Selena into her car and we drove away in the direction of my house. Once we arrived, I ran inside with my hockey gear and threw that into my room and grabbed my dance stuff, then went into the bathroom and brushed my hair back with a comb and placed it into a neat bun. I really wanted to cut my hair to be short like my mom's is but she won't let them cause she loves my hair too much. I went back downstairs to find Selena putting three eggs and some bacon onto a plate for me, god she knew me so well. 

I quickly ate the food and then hurried back out of the house and off to the dance studio. I was excited to see my friend Hannah again, she was the first one to introduce herself to me and make me feel like a part of the team. I haven't seen her in two weeks since I didn't come last week because I was in the studio recording my next single off of my debut album 'Finding Myself' and my single was called 'Famous', which I wrote a week ago when I came home from hanging out with Bea and Maddie. People kept bothering us for pictures and autographs which I gladly gave but I just wanted to be with my best friends without my job following me around.  My second single was called 'Me and Myself', Demi and I wrote it two weeks prior to me recording it. My first single wouldn't be on this album since its not a part of the story that the album is telling. Maybe I will re-record it for the second album whenever that comes out. 

Today I'm recording my new song 'Abandoned', the song was about growing up without parents and going from house to house trying to find a forever home. I'm also recording a song I wrote called 'Finally Home' and that was about getting adopted by Demi and later by Nick.

My album was going to have 11 songs on it and was supposed to be released on the 13th of Febuary. My North American tour starts on May 15, 2015 and it is called The Finding Myself Tour which the name comes from the name of my album. As of right now, since Demi is pregant her and Nick will be on tour until Demi gets really big and then my Aunt Dallas will trade places with them and with her would be my grandma and grandpa and Maddie. So it will be a full bus. 

Speaking of Demi being pregant, I can't wait until she comes back home so we can play the baby name game. It's going to be so much fun picking out names for the babies.

Dance practice was simple, we ran through several dances and we were able to leave but I stayed after so I could start getting an idea for the dances I want for my songs on tour. After I did that for an hour, I got dressed into my street clothes again and went to Selena. She was on the phone and noticed me approaching her, she gave me a sad smile. I instently knew that Nick was stuck at the studio still. When she got off the phone, she told me what I already knew and from there we went to grab lunch and go to the studio.

Just as we got to the studio, Demi called and I eagerly answered the phone.

'Hey momma!'  I said into the phone
"Hey baby girl, what are you up to?'  Demi said
'Nothing, just got to the studio with Aunt Selena and I'm going to record some songs as write my last one for the album then go home and sleep. I'm exaushted'  I said 
'You and me both Katie. I miss your cuddles kiddo. Where's your dad?"  Demi asked
'He got called into the studio while I was at hockey practice and has been stuck there ever since, we texted a little bit before dance team today'  I said sadly
'That studio is going to work with to no end'  Demi replied 
'Mom its fine. Remember, this is our lives'  I said 
'But you need you father and so do these babies'  Demi said 
'And we will have him, he has it all firgured out. The in home studio is almost finished and he did yea he was going to be taking time off until the babies were a year old. He's got it all figured out mom'  I said  
'You're right, he does'  Demi said 
'So how was the concert tonight?' I asked
'It was amazing, this tour is awesome'  Demi gushed
'I can't wait until I start my tour'  I said
'I can't wait until you start your tour either baby girl. That going to be something new for me, touring and not performing. I'm going to enjoy being on the side lines'  Demi gushed
'I'm so excited! But there won't be a tour until I get this CD finished which means I have to go record. Bye Momma'  I said 
'Bye baby girl. See you soon!'  Demi said 

As the line went dead, I walked into the booth and put on the headphones. I gave the thumbs up and the music started to flow and I began to sing. Recording took almost three hours but I wanted to make sure the two songs were perfect. I would be back recording three more songs on Saturday morning and the following week I would be recording my last song for the regular CD but for the deluxe edition I was recording one with each Nick, Demi and Selena. Demi and I recorded a song called 'Past, Present and Future'. Nick and I were signing a song that we wrote called 'Lead the Way' and Demi, Nick and I would be recording a song we wrote together called 'Never Grow Up'  then Selena and I are recording a song we wrote called 'Life's a Storm' , I couldn't wait for these songs to be recorded. 

Sabrina would be my opening artist for my entire tour. I was excited that we could bond on it, she was one of my best friends next to Maddie and Bea. I loved spending time with her.  

After recording the two songs, I went inside the producing room where Selena was waiting. I grabbed a note pad off the table and sat in chairs next to my producers Patrick and my Uncle Joe, also joining us was Megan Trainor who was a good friend of Nick's. I played a few songs off my phone that I wanted the song to sound like and I guess Patrick got inspired because he was messing around feverishly with the sound board. He soon spoke up and played the part of the song that he had just enginered. That's when it hit me. This matched perfectly to my half finished song called 'Dreaming Wide Awake', I started to write the song when I first got signed but got stuck while writing it so I put it to the side. 

I pulled up my notepad app and opened up the note that contained the half finished song and showed it to Uncle Joe and Megan. 

"Katie this song is amazing! We have finish it'  Megan said
'Thanks Megan, I got stuck on the bridge. Can you help me out with it?"  I asked 
'That's why I'm here kiddo'  Megan said 

I quickly copied the song onto the notepad.

'Can you rap?'  Uncle Joe asked
'Nope but I know three people who can, why do you ask?'  I questioned

Well cause right before the bridge heres's what you can do.

'Nine months ago my life was nothing but a dream.
Now, I'm wide awake and dreaming, shining bright.
Came from nowhere and found my place in life where I belong
When I finally found my forever home
My life was turned inside out
But I wouldn't change it for the world 
Cause I'm dreaming wide awake' 

"And then you go into the bridge"  Uncle Joe said 
'I love you and this idea'  I said 

'For this bridge here's what you can do'  Megan said

'I remember the day you found me
I remember when I started dreaming wide awake
I wouldn't change anything in this life
Cause I'm flying up high in this wide awake dream' 

"And then you go back to the beginning of the song but instead of 'started to dream wide wake', for the last set of lyrics you sing 'Since its all started I haven't stopped dreaming wide awake. I'm taking my time to shine out in this wide awake dream. Forever and Always dreaming wide awake' "  Megan said

'God I love the both of you right now you guys are amazing'  I said as I finished writing the song

After the writing process was done. I talked to Joe and Patrick about the song while Selena took a call. I also saved the song that Patrick was working on to my computer and grabbed my lyrics before the five of us left. Selena and I head to my house so I could pack my bag, Uncle Joe followed us since he would be spending the night at our house so the only people we had to pick up were Aunt Dallas and Aunt Marissa and that would be in the late morning on the way to the airport. As we were driving I was texting Jake. 

To: Jake 
Hey, mind lending me your voice for a verse of my new song?
It has a rapping part in it and I feel like it would work with you

A few minutes later I got my reply

From Jake
Send me the verse and I'll work on it

I quickly replied with my responce

To Jake
Thank you so much

To Jake
Here is the verse:
'Nine months ago my life was nothing but a dream. 
I'm wide awake and dreaming, shining bright. 
Came from nowhere and found my place in life where I belong
When I finally found my forever home
My life was turned inside out
But I wouldn't change it for the world 
Cause I'm dreaming wide awake' 

I really hope that Jake agrees to the verse

When we got to my house, I quickly let Thor out and got his food ready putting the bowl on the floor so when he came back in that he could eat. He was getting so big already but he was still the klutz. He ran in the house sometimes and he would slide against the hardwood floor and he would slide then fall, once he got up he would look at Demi, Nick or I like we did something to make him fall. After I got his food ready I ran up to my room and quickly packed a small bag with my clothes. I also packed up my regular laptop and my guitar since Jack said he wanted to do Flights in acoustic. 

I put that all at the base of the stairs and walked into the kitchen to find Uncle Joe cooking and Aunt Selena texting Niall and she looked up at me concerned. I got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. But before I could ask her, her phone rang out and she left the room to answer it. My phone then vibrated in my pocket and I looked at it. It was a text from Jake. 

From Jake
I'm down for the song. Email me the rest of the song because I may have an idea for it, that is if your okay with it. 

I quickly replied to him

To Jake
I'll email the song to you in a bit and yea I'm down for suggestions

With that I slide my phone back into my pocket and went to grab my laptop from by the stairs. I heard Selena still on the phone talking in a  semi hushed tone. But I was able to make some of it out.  

Selena's POV

I spent the entire day with Katie since Nick got called into the studio earlier then he would have liked and but I didn't mind spending the day with her since I loved spending time with my niece. After going from dance team to recording and writing, I have no idea how the kid does it because I got tired watching her do everything, so more power to her. 

I really can't wait to take her to New York tomorrow and GMA on Friday with Dallas, Marissa and Joe. Joe is the only one who hasn't seen her perform live so he was in for a treat. 

I got some devestating news today while Katie was recording, I got a call from Niall so I went into the hallway of the studio. I was talking to Niall and he asked me if Luke and Katie were still and item and I told him that they were. Then he sent me a picture while we were on the phone with each other. The picture was Luke at a club kissing another girl that definitely wasn't Katie. I knew it was current because there stood Harry in the background glaring in his direction. Harry apparently wanted to break them apart right away but Niall wanted to take the picture first, for proof.

The way that the 1D boys care about Katie is so cute. They are like her big brothers because whenever they were in the states they always hung out with her and its the cutest thing to watch ever. After Niall told me everything, we talked for a little bit longer and then said goodbye. As soon as the line went dead, I sent both Demi and Nick a text.

To Demi
S.O.S...I have information that you need to know about. Call me when you can. THIS IS RED ALERT

To Nick
S.O.S...Heartbreak alert. You aren't going to be likeing Luke to much when you find out about what he's doing. Sent Demi a similiar text. Katie knows nothing and is recording music right now. I'm going to try and keep it from her until Friday if you and Demi agree with it. 

I sent the texts and then went back into the studio and listened to Katie record. Her voice is so powerful and raw,  I loved listening to her sing, I can just imagine how far she can go.  When Katie was finished recording, she had one song left to write and there to help her were Joe and Megan. I loved Megan she was just so damn awesome. 

Her producer was a close friend of Nick's named Patrick, he produced one of my songs when I was still signed to Hollywood Records and I loved working with him. It only took a half hour for Megan, Joe and Katie to write the song since Katie knew what she wanted to song to sound like and then Patrick messed around with the sound board and created a sound that went perfectly with something that Katie started to write but got stuck with and she showed it to Joe and Megan and right away they were able to help her finish the song. It even had a rapping portion in it and I think she already knew who she wanted to have on the song. 

After she they finished writing the song, Nick called me. Katie was occupied talking to Joe and Patrick about the sound of the song so I was able to step outside once more and talk to him about everything. 

"What is Luke doing that I'm not going to like?"  Nick immedatly said

"Well the boys from 5 Seconds of Summer were in England and hung out with the boys of One Direction and they all went to a club together. Niall saw Luke kissing a girl on the lips that definitly isn't Katie, Harry is in the background of the picture. Harry looked pissed off and wanted to rip Luke off immedatly but Niall said he wanted to talk a picture first, I'm worried about how Katie will react to this" 
I said 

"He's a dead man"  Nick hissed into the phone

I could hear Nick's anger in his voice. I think its adorable how angry he got and how fast it happened. I knew that he is going to try and protect her over and over again when it comes to heartbreak. 

"I don't want to tell her because it will destroy her Nick. She has GMA on Friday and she needs a clear mind to perform"  I said 

"I know you don't want to tell her Selena and I know she needs a clear mind for Friday, but what happens when she does find out what he's doing and finds out the three of us knew about it"  Nick questioned

"She's going to hate us"  I said quietly 

"No she won't, shes going to get mad at us because we didn't tell her but she won't completly hate us. Fuck! I have no idea how to handle this Sel. This is my job and I have no idea what to do. Have you heard from Demi?"  Nick said 

"You're all knew to this Nick, its going to take some time to learn what to do but you're doing a great job at it. And no I texted her but I have not heard from her"  I said 

"Okay, um..lets see what Demi says and goes from there. Demi knows best"  Nick said

"Alright Nick, I should get back into the studio"   I said sadly 

"Thanks again Selena"  Nick said 

Then the line went dead. I walked back into the studio and Katie was saving the music to her computer and then we left the studio. Joe followed us to Demi and Nick's house since he was spending the night so it would make tomorrow easier. I was also spending the night there. 

When we got home, Katie let Thor out and got his food together so when he came back in he would be able to eat. She then went and ran upstairs to pack her bag. Joe on the other hand began to cook dinner for us, not going to lie he is actually a really a great cook. 

Soon Katie came back down and not even a two minutes later Demi called me. I walked out of the kitchen and anwered the phone. 

"Selena what is going on?"  Demi questioned

"Um...well Niall and I talked earlier and while we were talking, he went me a picture of Luke at a club and kissing a girl that is definitly not Katie. The boys were all together and after Niall took the picture they tore Luke away from the girl. I don't know what happened afterwards but yea"  I said quietly 

"So Luke is cheating on my babygirl"  Demi hissed

"Yea"  I said 

" Most importantly does Katie know?"  Demi asked

"No and Nick and I don't want her to find out about this until after Friday. She needs a clear mind for performing on GMA and her concert"  I said

"I don't want to keep it from her, yet I don't want to her to be heartbroken"  Demi sighed

"Do you want me to tell Katie now?"  I asked into the phone

Little did I know that Katie was standing by the stairs. Because I heard her from behind me and I knew she heard something but I wasn't sure how much. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N- I would like to say sorry that its taken me so long to update this book. I am so sorry! I've been really upset and just lost..like I have those days that are so hard to even put on a fake smile. This chapter has some drama that will be  continued into the next chapter (which I will start writing in a few minutes). 

Thank you as always for reading this book. I love you all and please stay strong.