prologue

Lyon. 18:27.

the searing, irradiant heat of the day had succumbed to the cooler and tangible darkness of the early evening. cobbled streets were emptying slowly, the laughter drowning out behind him as he walked onwards, steps echoing in between the darkening alleyways.

he could hear the bells from the clock tower chiming. the dulling sounds pierced the pleasant atmosphere with their sharpness, the ringing adding an eeriness to the warm and tranquil air.

most of the local residents had departed. he knew this, as the shutters began to close and the dimming conversations of groups of people were fading out into nothingness, as he delved into the unknown, attempting to remain inconspicuous; hood up, eyes down, feet pacing.

from a distant stance, the amber sun had settled amidst the hazy horizon of the deepening sky, the light contrasting to the violet and indigo hues of the ominously gathering clouds. once again, he felt the humidity of the day dissipating, his jacket providing him a layer of warmth from the chilled breeze.

baekhyun breathed;

in, out, in, out.

already, his heart was rattling within the confinements of his rib cage, desperate to escape containment. the hairs on his head stood up, his nerves accompanied by the shaking breath exhaling from his dry lips.

the people's mumbled conversations echoed around him, surrounding him with background noise as his attempt to calm the quaking of his body proved to be an almost impossible task.

steps slowed;

the reverberating sound of his feet against the cobblestones ceased;

he blinked, looked both ways.

dawn, dim and musty yellowing buildings loomed above him, the sparkling stars the only source of light in contrast to the noir sky.

light.

baekhyun stopped: breathed in a deep rush of cold air.

silence ensued as he racked his brains for what to do next. his fists clenched as he realised that he was completely isolated.

how did i get here?

baekhyun ran a hand through his dishevelled mop of hair, letting his arm drop to his side, his leather jacket now seeming too tight and too encased.

lights flickered.

"no," a shallow breath escaped out from between his cracked lips, cursing to himself.

street lamps dimmed one by one, rattling as the wind picked up speed, stinging his maroon eyes.

and, then.

he looked sideways, heart racing.

and, he ran.

suddenly, his feet were carrying him faster than ever, his departure resounding against the villa homes and ancient buildings, the hurried nature of his movements matching the never-ending ringing of the church tower bell.

all light sources diminished; shutting down in a single fashion, each flick of the switch in harmony with the thumping beat of his heart thudding in agony against his rib cage. where he was heading, he didn't know. he just needed to get away from here.

a dead end.

with a crash, he landed against the tall, iron gate, hands moving up to grip onto the cold steel. up above, the dark clouds brewed, the storm stating its arrival with a rumble of thunder and a crack of lightning.

his breathing resonated all around. it bounced off the walls, surrounded him in a panic, causing that all-too-familiar lump to rise in his throat.

darkness.

lights flashing irregularly.

the storm gathering.

darkness.

not again, he prayed to himself. please, not again.

//

inspired by baekhyun's pathcode trailer. let me know what you think. :)

© soartdeco