35

07:17.

by the time the sun had risen, and a warm, effervescent glow had settled into the kitchen tiles and room corners, the two of them were sat there, baekhyun still wearing that forlorn, conflicted expression that made roma uncomfortable, and roma still wishing she could decipher the hidden meanings in his frowns and lines.

everything that had happened seemed a blur.

all was quiet. upstairs, roma assumed that everybody was asleep. there were no sounds: nothing.

surreal setting. heart palpitated, as she wished she could go back to a week ago.

kai and jongdae and sehun and mia had all disappeared. she'd almost forgotten that mia was here with them all. she almost hoped it was just a bad dream.

roma had so many questions. they rested heavily on the tip of her tongue. as she glanced up, from where she was sat opposite to baekhyun, her stomach churned. turned and erupted into nervous butterflies.

her heart rate picked up, as she analysed the new marks and bruises that littered his skin. up his neck, a trail of purple made its way along, coiling around, seemingly trapping his words and explanations. his lips were dry and pale, as he constantly opened and closed his mouth, attempting to make sense.

it was awkward. she felt weirdly human, in comparison to baekhyun who seemed to be above that, his perfect features seemingly un-phased, despite the damages he'd clearly sustained. his fingers were interlocked, shaking ever-so slightly. how could he still be so beautiful?

"what is this place?" roma whispered, almost blurting the question out. breath puffed heavily out of her swollen lips.

baekhyun's attention perked up. analysed her; tried to figure out what she meant. couldn't think of the words to say.

"it's difficult to explain, but it's kind of our shared house, i guess," baekhyun let out, his voice remaining deep and low, eyes never leaving hers.

us, she assumed was referring to jongdae, sehun and kai.

"why is it difficult to explain?" roma asked meekly.

why was everything difficult to explain?

it suddenly felt weird, sitting with him, being with him, after everything that happened. it seemed strange to her that they were meeting in such a relaxed manner. sitting opposite each other at the kitchen table. her stomach continued to twist and untwist.

she didn't know why she was here--god, why had she agreed?--but she was definitely tired of all this. being clueless and being so pathetic in comparison to baekhyun's strong stance, as he looked at her with a mixture of complexity and torment.

radiant sunshine was overwhelming. filtered into every corner and made baekhyun's skin glow.

he let out a deep sigh, one that reverberated throughout his entire being.

"it just is," he settled on, speaking through gritted teeth. baekhyun continuously interlocked his long fingers, as roma couldn't help but be drawn to the scattered marks across the tanned skin of his hands.

the only sound in the room was her heart beating, thumping to the intensity of his gaze.

roma tried to speak: couldn't.

"i'm so, so, sorry," he said again. "i don't even know where to start. it's all just..."

baekhyun trailed off. focused on the corner of the worn-out table. she watched his eyes crease and blink, like he was in pain. they were slightly bloodshot in the corners. probably because he hadn't slept.